DSD distortion noise on Toneboard1 with latest firmware (2.0)

I installed Volumio and a Toneboard (with latest firmware v 2.0) on a RPI4 8GB. Everthing is oke, but when trying to play DSD files, i only hear loud distortion on both channels. I thougt the tone should play dsd file fine?

With the option: DSD over PCM: i hear no sound at all…

The files rates:
Samplerate: 2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 88200 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 5645 kbps
Codec: DSD64

Please help me out here.

i think its volumio problem
please check alsa driver state

How can i check alsa driver state and what must i say?

play DSD file and get next information about alsa driver play state
grep "" /proc/asound/card?/pcm?p/sub?/hw_params

Where can i see the information? On the webpage of Volumio?
When i play the dsd file, i don’t see that kind of information.
I’m running Volumio and Tone board via a Raspberry 4

not sure, u must find some way to get linux shell, for example via UART, ssh , etc …

BTW: what about toneboard led indication - DSD stream have special color and its not same as for PCM!

The color of the led is always WHITE? No difference if i play music or not, or playing music of different type of files.

BWT, when ik select the option in Volumio: DSD over PCM: i hear no sound at all (no distorion also)

volumio@volumio:~$ volumio@volumio:~$ grep “” /proc/asound/card?/pcm?p/sub?/hw_params
/proc/asound/card5/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params:format: DSD_U32_BE
/proc/asound/card5/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params:subformat: STD
/proc/asound/card5/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params:channels: 2
/proc/asound/card5/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params:rate: 88200 (88200/1)
/proc/asound/card5/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params:period_size: 11025
/proc/asound/card5/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params:buffer_size: 44100

sorry its was only for Toneboard2 and not for Toneboard1

yes driver work in DSD mode, but u listen only noise , right ?

• how its was before ? for example for prev firmware
  • please check how its works on PC
  • maybe share link to DSD file from your tests for me, i will try to check it too

I don’t know how it was before, as i have the Tone just for 1 week, straight out off the box put the latest firmware on it.

But i found when playing DSD files, you have to put the volume in Volumio on level 100. Then there is no distortion noise and i just hear the music playing!!!

yes right only 100% volume level need

Hi,

I´m running into similar problems mentioned here. Upon firmware 2.0 upgrade of my Tone 1 board and RPI running Volumio playback of DSD files only produces a faint noise and very faint sound in the background. The setup has been running without problems for nearly 2 years. Other formats FLAC, PCM etc run well. I´ve tried every option including factory reset etc. without improvement. I´ve tried to access Volumio using PUTTY but that is not allowed for some or another reason. Settings are Tone1 DOP no volume control options, buffer 2MB, no mixer, no resampling.

Any suggestions please

Brgrds Paul

I’ve added alsa information and driver play state.

Hi Khadas Team any suggestions please?

1. need to be sure drivers work in DSD mode not PCM
  2. volume level must be 100% for corrent play DSD

Hi - thank you. I do think so - I’m using the settings used previously without problems. I’ll attach snapshots so you can check settings. First set in idle mode

status during dsd playback