Configuring Ubuntu 22.04 Server

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu 22.04 Server

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Khadas official images

Please describe your issue below:

From reading the Ubuntu site, it looks as though if I’d been able to use their bootable image, I’d have been led through a curses based interface to let me do the usual basic stuff like setting time zone, hostname, etc. However, I installed to MMC (after considerable pain) from oowow and while I can log in, it goes straight to the login prompt. Is there any way to force the system to run the basic config, or does it all have to be done manually because it’s a vendor image? All I’m really looking for is a basic terminal based interface to make setting up the simple stuff easy, so I can do that stuff quickly and devote my time to setting up the complicated stuff. I thought of just doing a desktop install, but I couldn’t even get oowow to display anything more than it’s logo before the HDMI shut off.

Post a console log of your issue below:

**Delete this line and post your log here.**

The 22.04 ubuntu server image installed using oowow is all you need.

What are you trying to change?

I think it’s mainly “culture shock” from going from Raspberry Pi OS, where I knew exactly what I had to change, to Ubuntu, where I don’t :slightly_smiling_face:.

The network configuration has given me difficulties - I use mDNS extensively and try to have all devices accessible via IPv4 and IPv6, and I’d hoped to have both a wired and wireless hostname available. However, I think the fact that I’ve installed server, requiring me to do things via the CLI, while trying to configure “clienty” things like DHCP and mDNS has been causing me confusion. I was able to get both wired and wireless up via nmcli, but mDNS needed me to manually dig into nsswitch.conf and install avahi-daemon and configure that, but I just couldn’t get dhclient to hand out a different hostname for WiFi and ended up giving up on that, and just trying to get Ethernet working, which seems OK now. Next I need to get ssh using keys, which should be straightforward, but I’ve already managed to lock myself out of the machine and have to reinstall from scratch - that’s purely carelessness on my part. If I get that done, it should just be a matter of installing Jellyfin. My progress is slow but at least in the right direction.

1 Like