Building Android for VIM3 according to directions

cd ${AOSP_TOPDIR}
git clone platform/prebuilts/gas/linux-x86 - Git at Google prebuilts/gas/linux-x86 according to link above
have you done it ?

yes, I am following the guide very carefully, I think both the things you just asked are in the cut paste above. Or maybe I am not recognizing them correctly?

I have deleted my ā€œworkspace-andy11ā€ folder as a friend told me that problems happen with folder and computer names with a dash in them. I am starting from scratch with ā€œaospā€ as my folder name now.
I will follow every step very carefully following the 5.4 make.
I will test boot after first flash before the separate kernel build stages that appear not needed.

@jasonl

if I want to recompile from scratch all I should have to do is remove the ā€œoutā€ folder right?
sudo rm -r -f out

is this correct?

also, I have been having a lot of issues with each step so I have been sudo a lot.
Today in an effort to get around all the problems I have started from scratch but running in a sudo -s environment, not done yet but so far seems ok.

is this the correct way to do this?

Thanx

no need to remove out if you only to build 5.4 kernel ,i found that you build kernel not under kernel source ? did you download kernel source ?

I am uncertain what your saying hereā€¦

I thought you said I did not need to build the kernel separately?

I am building from this line that appears to build kernel as well as all images:

make TARGET_USE_TABLET_LAUNCHER=true TARGET_VIM3=true TARGET_KERNEL_USE=5.4 -j20

do I need to download and build the kernel separately??

I have now gone thru the steps maybe twenty times, loaded fresh ubuntu at least a dozen times.
I can go thru the steps with ZERO errors! Total apparent success!
Even the image flashing steps go thru!

Sadly I do not get a boot-able device out of it tho :frowning:

The only thing that I have not been able to get to work is the separate and I think supposedly not needed kernel build steps, they error out no matter what I do!!!
This last time I ran the entire process end to end on a fresh loaded ubuntu 20.04 system under a sudo -i environment to ensure there was no way some folder permission or other thing was holding me back. Same as before tho, every step zero errors EXCEPT the separate kernel build stepsā€¦ That I think are not needed unless you want to change kernel versionā€¦

root@ub20usb:~/aosp# cd hikey-linaro
root@ub20usb:~/aosp/hikey-linaro# make meson_defconfig
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
/bin/sh: 1: clang: not found
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.host:107: scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 127
make: *** [Makefile:524: scripts_basic] Error 2
root@ub20usb:~/aosp/hikey-linaro#

I gotta take a break. I dont want to get frustrated and throw this thing at something hard :frowning:

1 Like

I donā€™t think the kernel is the issue. but just to confirm, when you try to boot the device with the newly compiled rom, do you get the white led blinking?

yes, it blinks like its loading something but nothing on the screen.
I thought maybe it was a resolution compatibility issue so I tried it on two monitors and a 4k TV too.

Itā€™s the U-Boot. Try to use an older U-Boot. For some reason the current one if giving this issue

1 Like

oik, thanx

I took a look at the uboot area of the wiki but I did not see where I could get an older oneā€¦

can I extract the boot.img from one of the Khadas supplied PIE9 images and just substitute into my out/target/product/yukawa directory and reflash?

Zong!! You did it!

I went and found the u-boot_kvim3_noab.bin file you made back in Nov and posted up!
dropped it into the aosp/device/amlogic/yukawa/bootloader/ folder over writeing the one I had.

redid the flash andā€¦

This worked, I have a booting up Android 11 Vim3 now :slight_smile:

time to check this outā€¦

1 Like

now that I am booted up, I see that it is reporting an ATV build.
Is this because perhaps the u-boot_kvim3_noab.bin I got from your build is an ATV build?

I am getting corrupted memory on pretty much everything, it boots lets me look around but all memory seems useless, its also reporting 16gb ram rather than 32gb.

Not complaining on you :slight_smile: Just wondering if this is due to the U-Boot mismatch maybe?

Itā€™s possible, but i also ran it with one of the previous uboots and itā€™s working for me. Userdata may just need to be reflashed or maybe the whole thing needs to be redone, not too sure.

I am taking it up on gitlab now.

The BayLibre team came through and fixed the U-Boot quickly.

I am all done! She boots up in Android 11 (buggy yes, needs fixing yes) :slight_smile:

thanx for all the help guys!

2 Likes