Boot loop Ubuntu 22.04 - initrd.img - dtb.img wrong link

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu 22.04

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Fenix built Ubuntu 22.04

Please describe your issue below:

Created brand new image of Ubuntu 22.04 with fenix script.
Launch system and do apt update & upgrade.
3 new packages are updated and as a result initrd.img is rebuilt.
Boot loop happens and the system can’t start.

Figured out that /boot/dtb.img links to dtb/rockchip/kvim1s.dtb which doesn’t exist.
The correct link should be to dtb/amlogic/kvim1s.dtb

After fixing this link and running
sudo update-initramfs -c -k 5.4.180 everything works.

Did I mess something up or is there a problem with khadas/fenix script?

Have you modified the source code? Please provide the build steps.

The only modification to source code was to enable CONFIG_IP_PNP in kernel. Other than that I followed steps on GitHub - khadas/fenix: One-stop script set to build Ubuntu/Debian images.
To be precise:

1. as host on which I’ve built image I’ve used ubuntu jammy in virtualbox
  2. clone fenix repo with $ git clone --depth 1 GitHub - khadas/fenix: One-stop script set to build Ubuntu/Debian images
  3. set up environment for my vim1s on sd card with $ source env/setenv.sh
  4. changed that ip_pnp to enabled in packages/linux-mainline/configs/Generic.config
  5. make
  6. burn the image to sd card using dd
  7. launch the khadas vim1s

So the first bootup is fine but after do upgrade it can’t boot any more ? What’s commad you have performed after first bootup?

Many boots are ok. Until the sudo apt update && upgrade fiddles with some udev libraries/packages…which consequently triggers recreating of /boot/initrd.img (-5.4.180) and after that the system can’t boot up.

I’ve tested it with old initrd.img backedup and so on.

But…if the dtb.img points to correct place none of the mentioned above matters and everything works fine.

Hello @xholicka

Thanks for your feedback, I have fixed this typo, please update your source code and try again.