Beginner with Ubuntu XFCE. Missing some applications?

Hi all. Just received my VIM3 today and installed Ubuntu on eMMC. Booted and everything works fine. This is my first time using desktop version of Ubuntu and I want to control the VIM3 from my Windows 10 laptop, so was looking for a remote desktop solution.

A Google search tells me to use Desktop Sharing, but this option is not available. Why is this not here?
I found this article to install VNC Server (https://medium.com/@aldo_mx/simplest-way-to-configure-vnc-server-in-xubuntu-16-04-lts-and-newer-6c0b3ae21fe5). That works, but it only works after I’ve logged into Ubuntu with my account first. I don’t want to do that. I want the process to run in the background and be able to log in and take over the Vim3 from my Win10 laptop.

Also when I want to install TeamViewer, I download the Ubuntu version from their site (.deb), but after it asks me what I want to do with the file. There’s no ‘install’ option.

Am I missing something here? I hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Hi. I once made a tutorial on how to do that.

This is for Armbian with lightdm installed. But it’s just the same for Ubuntu.
Replace lightdm with the display manager that’s used by your Ubuntu. I don’t remember what they use, but possibly it is lightdm.

That makes vnc start when the login screen is shown. So you can log in via x11vnc.

You probably have downloaded a x86/amd64 .deb file. You need an arm64 installer for that. I’ve never used TeamViewer on an SBC. I don’t know if it works.

2 Likes

Thank you Nico. Your solution for the remote desktop seems to work well. Indeed the display manager is lightdm.

Will do some more research the next few days.

1 Like

Hi @NicoD. I keep on getting this error:

Connection has been gracefully closed. It’s very annoying. If happens regularly and I have no idea why. Any ideas how to fix this?

Hi @Haste. I see that it has been a while since your post, but I’ll reply just in case you are still having this connection issue.
When I initially set up my EDGE-V, it kept dropping WiFi connections until I attached the two antenna that were included in the packaging. After they were connected, my WiFi has been very stable.
Hope this helps.:sunglasses:

You can use XRDP it is a wonderful tool and a bit better that VNC server just a problem is that it is only suitable for LAN connection and not over the internet, try it out and see if it suits you. :slightly_smiling_face:

chrome remote desktop is even better… I think it works on arm cpus too

Maybe, but another problem is that XRDP is a windows app and so it is quite closed off for users with other OS