Balanced output?

You know you can conect other DACs to the VIMs and Edge if you are done waiting for ToneBoard 2? I bet there are many balanced DACs out there that can fit in, there’s no need to be mad at this

1 Like

It’s not about being mad. Just calling out the obvious. They could be sharing news about the balanced DAC if there’s one coming, instead of hijacking a thread in their own forum.

Khadas is a SBC (and SBC-related extensions) business, they don’t make a living from selling cables. That’s why taking the effort of designing a new balanced cable (an accessory) probably means TB2 is comming soon, it’s to pair it with the new DAC. That’s why I’m optimistic, but I’m not in a hurry as I already own the TB1.

3 Likes

Hi @labjr
Not sure if you check the information from here:

We will leaks more details in the next few weeks, but it’s still not allowed for me to post further information at this time.

Thanks for understanding!

2 Likes

No need to reinvent the wheel. Will be hard to get a proprietary connector. Mini XLR connectors already exist and would seem to be mechanically superior to a coaxial RCA type of plug. XLR2

Hard to say.

Especially, when you started to feel that the existing wheels can no longer match the performance & comprehensive requirements of a modern supercar that you were trying to build.

I think our team is just one of the teams in the world that with NEVER SETTLE as our belief.

3 Likes

No idea what you mean by performance. I’ve been using XLR connectors for decades and find them mechanically superior to any RCA type of connector.

1 Like

The real constraint is on the board side, let’s compare the female sockets , main criterias shall be quality of electrical contact and overall occupied volume, mechanical retention on non moving / vibrating devices is not so relevant

1 Like

That connector will never be a new standard.

why care about it becoming a standard ? it is just a quiet good solution to a problem

Because there are plenty of solutions available already. Like TRS 6.35mm plugs. Nobody wants to buy proprietary cables for your product.

I am not a khadas employee, I have 2 TB and might buy a third one with balanced I/O.
What about you ? if you do not see any reason to buy one TB, so be it, and just stay away from it :see_no_evil:. All the alternatives you invoked are too big to fit in the overall box volume khadas aimed at.

3 Likes

Proprietary connectors will keep some people from buying it. If it ever comes out.

1 Like

be humble and do not consider yourself as the people, it’ll be fine. Do you actually own a preamp, integrated amp or amp with balanced inputs ?

I like the idea of the new connector. Other than pro sound gear, I do not have balanced audio gear. For now I would use an RCA patch cord, however, in a potential future upgrade to balanced gear, having the balanced option on the same connector is a plus.

1 Like

I waiting for XLR version of tone board, is it in works?

@atomek its actually the Toneboard v2 :slight_smile:
you can buy an optional cable which converts the new balanced output connector to a XRL connector,
Preorder available soon…

2 Likes

yes i wana do that too!!! hmmm cant wait

1 Like

better make sure it ships with a pair or you will be shooting yourselves in the foot

1 Like

not sure if everyone needs that cable with their Toneboard…
perhaps it can be sold as a standalone Toneboard, or a Toneboard kit, with the extra necessary cable accesories :slight_smile: