Ask Us Anything

in fenix 0.8.x
for being able to build a mainline linux kernel which is of a newer version than the one hard coded inside (currently: 5.5-rc2),
where to find the patch set to be applied to the Linus Torvald’s code tree ?
or how to create them ?

2 Likes

Will we get widevine support for Android image…?

2 Likes

I do have a question, what about chromium os on Vim3, i believe that hardware is more than capable to run it, if chrome os runs on older rockchip soc’s, then it shouldn’t be impossible to run chromium os on vim3?

Maybe someone can explain me, is the bigger problem here Arm or Amlogic, or someone with enough knowledge and will needs to make it?

Regarding VIM3. Why are not al USB-PD PSUs supported (e.g. Apple 18W charger)? Can you add a list of confirmed working/non-working PD PSUs?

Is it possible for you to add support for non-working PD PSUs through a firmware update?

More information in my (unanswered!) thread here.

1 Like

hi guys, for tone board using as stand alone :
i need to know where is pin for external supply (not from USB port), and the input port for iis(i2s) for use the dac on khadas board. which version of tone board i need, vim or generic?
the vim version Run on windows10?

Hello, for power input, have a look here.
For I2S, see here.
Electrically speaking, both Tone Board versions are the same. The VIMs version has headers mounted for mating to the VIM SBCs’ GPIO.
Both should work on Windows 10. I have the VIMs version, it works on Windows 10. Windows has a driver.

For more information on the Tone Board, see here, and here.

2 Likes

Are there Debian Buster images for VIM2 somewhere with Panfrost kernel drivers included ? By github activity it looks like it was recently enabled, but unfortunately Debian images are not uploaded to https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM2/Debian/

Also, i understand VIM1 should use Lima driver, and this looks like it should be more available and stable, can someone confirm if DRI2 works under X11 with VIM1 and “official” Ubuntu builds ?

EDIT: Nevermind, just got VIM2 debian-buster built, works fine, image here

DRI2 desktop works, GLES2 everything is up and running. Still need to figure out video decode, but it’s looking good

1 Like

I doubt as panfrost support for amlogic device was just merged in 5.7 kernel. I was finally able to run display manager with fbturbo driver but still it is using llvmpipe instead is panfrost for rendering.

No, lima work well with Wayland as x11 support is not there yet.

Can you share some glmark results ?
Try glmark2 -s 1980x1080
Also glxgears and see what does it use to render?

It should show mali and opengl.

Also who is maintaining this image for vim2?

Thanks.

Answered in the other thread. Build is standard Fenix https://github.com/khadas/fenix

VIM1 lima on X11 also works with latest Fenix.

Both VIM1/VIM2/Edge with mainline kernel work with open source GPU driver Lima/Panfrost.

1 Like

I will try fenix kernel but 101 patches will be hard to handle. Let me see how long it will take me to b package it.

Thanks

For panfrost, it is already merged in master, these patches have nothing to do with it.

There is a customer received his Tone Board and he have installed it into his tube headphone amp project. It sounds great! You can see it in my links below.

One problem he do have occasionally is that after waking my computer up from sleep, it will no longer output sound until he disconnect and reconnect the USB connection. Is there any way to fix this?

3 Likes

I do have one idea, what about a needed features topic, where we could discuss about software support, things that we want to see supported.

Like for example, chromium accelerated support, vpu support for boards, accelerated desktop, some piece of hardware to work with our board, some part of the board driver support, like things users need and want to see supportd, i hope you understood me.

These are just examples, it would be like feature request topic, then some users wouldn’t have to open many new topics for their needs.

Did you test gnome desktop using vim’s, will it work with ubuntu 20.04?

About vpu driver, it is mainlined with kernel 5.7, are you testing it?

I have been viewing rpi4 videos, they have one interesting thing, chromium media edition browser, it looks like all streaming services like netflix and youtube work well under it, i know vim can’t be compared with rpi4, but is it possible to adjust it for amlogic devices?

About panfrost/lima, are they usable on vim’s, i know it should work fine on vim2, but is it ok for end users of vim1 or 3?

When can we expect working images with some of the stuff mentioned here, especially now when ubuntu 20.04. is out?

@Gouwa, @numbqq, @Frank, @hyphop, @Terry ?

Yes, I have tested Ubuntu 20.04 linux 5.6 with gnome desktop, but seems not smooth as XFCE weeks ago. At that time, Lima/Panfrost doesn’t perform well on Ubuntu 20.04, but well on Debian Buster. Ubuntu 20.04 is released now, I haven’t checked yet.

Haven’t checked yet, when 5.7 released I will check.

Lima works on VIM1 and panfrost works on VIM2/Edge now. For VIM3/L panfrost will be supported in the future. We already provide the boards for to panfrost developers.

I have already added ubuntu 20.04 support in Fenix. But for the release image need more time.

About lima driver for Vim1, does it work with more demanding desktops like gnome or kde plasma?

Is it possible to install it on the current images, if so can you post a tutorial about it?

@numbqq, @Gouwa, @Terry ?

As I tested, Debian 10 has better performence then Ubnuntu 20.04.

I tested XFCE and GNOME, XFCE is better than GNOME.

You can’t. In order to using lima, you need to update mesa. So you have to use Debian 10 or Ubuntu 20.04. All source is avaliable on GitHub, you can build yourself if you want to try.

I know it isn’t the right place to ask, but i was watching a youtube video about lima driver, where i needed to add oibaf ppa to be able to install lima driver. I installed it, and after that i needed to edit armbian-defaults.conf file, i set acceleration from none to glamor, it looks like it worked because i got mali 450 recognised in glmark 2 with score of 196.

After that, something strange happened, i don’t have any sound now, and chromium browser starts with blank page, it looks like a white window, with no options or anything.

I have reverted acceleration to none, chromium now starts, but sound is still not coming.

I am using armbian 20.05.03., ubuntu 20.04, kernel 5.7 rc2.

Was this video even the right way to install and run lima, or did i need to edit some other line except the one that adds acceleration?

I know you were talking about compiling, but my knowledge is not that great, i managed to compile one app few months ago, but they had very clear instructions, here i don’t have a clue how to start?

@numbqq, @Gouwa, @Terry?

Hello, any estimates or guesstimates for android 64bit support (vim3)?

2 Likes