Ask Us Anything

Hello all,

In an effort to improve our product FAQs, we’re putting together a new FAQ guide for each product.

You can ask us any question regarding the:

• VIM3L
  • VIM3
  • VIM2
  • VIM1
  • Tone Board
  • Edge
  • Edge-V
  • Captain
  • Accessories (M2X, Edge-IO, etc, etc)

Even if the question is embarrassing, you can still ask it. Please do not create feature requests as those only apply to future products.

Our engineers will do their best to answer each question, when they have the time. Then I will compile the most important questions into an FAQ for each product, that would be put onto our website.

Thanks guys!
You Jun

10 Likes

Hello mate,
My first question (and probably the last) is why is the GPIO on the VIM 3 not following with the raspberry pi standard ?
If it was that standard it would have allowed the usage of Pi hats and other accessories available on the market.

3 Likes

i think that the questions shall be : on VIMx , how do I do this , or how to make it do that…
and not really why something xxx,
am i right ?

1 Like

@ravelo You are right . The purpose of this post is to collect questions and put them into FAQ . @Electr1 But we also welcome more suggestions for improvement of our products . I think a new post should be created for this kind of problem. This post is use for collect problems.

1 Like

on: VIM1…VIM3L
How to create an encrypted rootfs on Ubuntu?

Something like this: https://github.com/NicoHood/NicoHood.github.io/wiki/Raspberry-Pi-Encrypt-Root-Partition-Tutorial

2 Likes

u can find many manuals about this in internet
but its same common steps

1. install cryptsetup lvm2
  2. change initramfs
  3. change kernel boot args

current our fenix build system not have this options and u can try make it by yourself (sure u must have some advanced linux user skills for it )

1 Like

in fenix 0.8.x
for being able to build a mainline linux kernel which is of a newer version than the one hard coded inside (currently: 5.5-rc2),
where to find the patch set to be applied to the Linus Torvald’s code tree ?
or how to create them ?

2 Likes

Will we get widevine support for Android image…?

2 Likes

I do have a question, what about chromium os on Vim3, i believe that hardware is more than capable to run it, if chrome os runs on older rockchip soc’s, then it shouldn’t be impossible to run chromium os on vim3?

Maybe someone can explain me, is the bigger problem here Arm or Amlogic, or someone with enough knowledge and will needs to make it?

Regarding VIM3. Why are not al USB-PD PSUs supported (e.g. Apple 18W charger)? Can you add a list of confirmed working/non-working PD PSUs?

Is it possible for you to add support for non-working PD PSUs through a firmware update?

More information in my (unanswered!) thread here.

1 Like

hi guys, for tone board using as stand alone :
i need to know where is pin for external supply (not from USB port), and the input port for iis(i2s) for use the dac on khadas board. which version of tone board i need, vim or generic?
the vim version Run on windows10?

Hello, for power input, have a look here.
For I2S, see here.
Electrically speaking, both Tone Board versions are the same. The VIMs version has headers mounted for mating to the VIM SBCs’ GPIO.
Both should work on Windows 10. I have the VIMs version, it works on Windows 10. Windows has a driver.

For more information on the Tone Board, see here, and here.

2 Likes

Are there Debian Buster images for VIM2 somewhere with Panfrost kernel drivers included ? By github activity it looks like it was recently enabled, but unfortunately Debian images are not uploaded to https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM2/Debian/

Also, i understand VIM1 should use Lima driver, and this looks like it should be more available and stable, can someone confirm if DRI2 works under X11 with VIM1 and “official” Ubuntu builds ?

EDIT: Nevermind, just got VIM2 debian-buster built, works fine, image here

DRI2 desktop works, GLES2 everything is up and running. Still need to figure out video decode, but it’s looking good

1 Like

I doubt as panfrost support for amlogic device was just merged in 5.7 kernel. I was finally able to run display manager with fbturbo driver but still it is using llvmpipe instead is panfrost for rendering.

No, lima work well with Wayland as x11 support is not there yet.

Can you share some glmark results ?
Try glmark2 -s 1980x1080
Also glxgears and see what does it use to render?

It should show mali and opengl.

Also who is maintaining this image for vim2?

Thanks.

Answered in the other thread. Build is standard Fenix https://github.com/khadas/fenix

VIM1 lima on X11 also works with latest Fenix.

Both VIM1/VIM2/Edge with mainline kernel work with open source GPU driver Lima/Panfrost.

1 Like

I will try fenix kernel but 101 patches will be hard to handle. Let me see how long it will take me to b package it.

Thanks

For panfrost, it is already merged in master, these patches have nothing to do with it.

There is a customer received his Tone Board and he have installed it into his tube headphone amp project. It sounds great! You can see it in my links below.

One problem he do have occasionally is that after waking my computer up from sleep, it will no longer output sound until he disconnect and reconnect the USB connection. Is there any way to fix this?

3 Likes

I do have one idea, what about a needed features topic, where we could discuss about software support, things that we want to see supported.

Like for example, chromium accelerated support, vpu support for boards, accelerated desktop, some piece of hardware to work with our board, some part of the board driver support, like things users need and want to see supportd, i hope you understood me.

These are just examples, it would be like feature request topic, then some users wouldn’t have to open many new topics for their needs.