Armbian + KODI (Ubuntu\Debian) for SD & USB & eMMC

For those who want to make the most of the entire eMMC for Linux hosting. Additional installation option Armbian 4.18 kernel in eMMC.
To install in the eMMC firmware VIM1_Ubuntu-xenial_Linux-3.14_mate_arm64_EMMC_2018-05-31. Download the link script “create-mbr-ubuntu.sh”

and place it on an external media in the BOOT (FAT) partition. Run Armbian from external media, execute script “/boot/create-mbr-ubuntu.sh” and install Armbian on eMMC (execute script “/root/install.sh”).

You can do without installing new firmware in eMMC and install Armbian 4.18 on any firmware. To do this, you must first install a new u-boot on the eMMC. Download the link in this post file “u-boot-ubuntu-2015.img” and write it from the Armbian 4.18 system running from external media, to eMMC with the command “dd if=u-boot-ubuntu-2015.img of=/dev/mmcblk1”. After that restart VIM1 and execute two scripts from that message described above.

I know i read it somewhere, but can’t find it, is there a way to speed up search in synaptic, i am using newest image debian xfce 4.18 on vim1.

This information was discussed at Armbian forum.

On the last images Armbian 20180804 (Mate\XFCE) kernel 4.18 WiFi is available in the VIM1 S905x without manual intervention. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Balbes150, about synaptic slow search.

I did a search, found something about editing armbian configuration, but there was no precise answer, i never ran armbian conf, i know you can configure a lot of stuff with it, but i don’t know what exactly i need to edit.

Armbian installation with 4.18 kernel in eMMC with switch to u-boot-2018. To install u-boot-2018 on the eMMC. Follow the link to download two files.

Run from external Armbian media (version >= 20180806), create a full backup of the eMMC. Run to “root” user “dd if=u-boot-2018-linux.img of=/dev/mmcblk1”. Restart VIM. The system should start using the new u-boot-2018. To install in eMMC Armbian , execute the user root script “create-mbr-linux-2018.sh” and then run the installation script “install.sh” After these steps, u-boot-2018 will be installed on the eMMC. Please note that the new u-boot-2018 can run only new versions of Armbian LE with 4.18 kernel from external media. These images have additional scripts to work with u-boot-2018. To run other systems, you need to add the necessary files to work with u-boot-2018.

1 Like

Hello Oleg,

Do you notice that Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is not smooth as Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and Ubuntu XFCE 18.04?
When drag the window on Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is very slow.

Hi Nick.
I’ll check with myself What image have you tried ?

Hello Oleg,

The image I use is Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_mate_20180729.img.xz. It’s not smoothly as Ubuntu Mate 16.04 when you drag the windows.

Thanks.

Hi Nick
I checked. Yes, there are some delays when moving the window (the mouse cursor moves before moving the window). But the window itself moves smoothly, without brakes. I haven’t looked for a reason.

2 Likes

Suport HW video to Armbian for S912 (VIM2).

1 Like

Image Armbian 5.55

1 Like

Install Armbian (only kernel 4.18) to eMMC.

2 Likes

Good news. U-boot-2018 files work on all vim1 (S905X) and VIM2 (S912) models. That is, you can use the files from the link above as well on VIM2. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Add new version 5.55 20180817.

Add supports USB audio.

Tested work Tone Board with the latest version of Armbian 20180817, everything is fine automatically determined and works. When you connect the sound card, the system automatically switched to it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Important information.

2 Likes

Launched the latest version of the image 5.55 (20180817) to vim2 connected to TV LG 4K , when start the system automatically detects the presence of 4K and switched to the screen resolution 3840x2160. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear Balbes150

Seems this file Armbian is corrupt. Could you check it?
Thank you.

Armbian_5.55_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.18.0_desktop_20180819.img.xz

aabento

It work, tested this build few minutes ago. Maybe it broken for you during download process?