AOSP build Android 11 from BayLibre team does not use all of VIM3 Pro Storage

Hi, I was asked by the BayLibre team to post here with this problem.
When using the AOSP build the internal storage space only shows 16gb of the 32GB the device has.
This does not happen with any other O/S or flash image.

1 Like

was planning to look into this myself, currently compiling a rom with some changes to see if i can recover the rest of the storage. will report back if i get it working. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

you make any headway?

sadly not yet. i think there was a set amount for the storage because they may have been having trouble getting the remaining storage to be void managed (auto detect size), but im not too sure on that. just not im likely wrong in my assumption.

1 Like

i had to stop myself and realize that the size of the storage on most mobile device are dictated by the bootloader, unlike desktops and laptops, and that the rom/os in this case doesnt have the ability to repartition the storage on its own and needs a host computer to change it in most cases. long story short, if we want to get the full storage on the vim3 pro we would need to recompile uboot with a patch to use the entire storage… this isnt something im good at, but i will try and see what i can figure out. no promises.

2 Likes

Thanx for focusing on this, its way beyond my abilities!

I wonder if this also is the reason for the other memory errors?

hey zonggestsu I was thinking about it and not sure how it would work in the khadas released android pie images.

Since there is only one image and it is flashed in whole how would it differentiate between 16gb standard and 32gb pro versions?
I dont think the flash tool is intelligent enough to choose the uboot and flash the correct version…

I had looked into the uboot source from khadas, and while they have the boot, system, vendor, etc with a defined partition size, the userdata partition is basically told to take whatever is left of the storage. This way they don’t need to have 2 different uboot images between the base vim3 and the pro.

2 Likes

THIS IS FOR THE VIM3. THE U-BOOT IN THE ATTACHED WILL NOT BOOT ON THE VIM3L. i think i did it. i just compiled u-boot with the changes that should make it create a userdata partition based on the remainder of the storage. here are the files necessary to test. its just the compiled uboot and a bigger userdata partition. you should be able to flash just these 2 along with the rest of your rom file to see if thing are working correctly and if you get a bigger storage

1 Like

I will test it right now!

Yes you did it!
Tho a few caveats :slight_smile:

The used amount of storage doubled for no apparent reason…
Was 3.6 now is 7.27
Also the cache, data and sd card still show Corrupted but I now think this is not related…

i think its mostly a quirk of our roms being at best weekly builds and at worst daily builds we could build it tomorrow after a repo sync, it could work properly, or more things could break.

1 Like

yup, lol. I think I may put this away for a week or so now. let the devs get a few more things lined up :slight_smile:
Today was fun, thanx, things are coming so close I feel.

A few more things fixed and I would give my project a test :slight_smile:
corrupted issue, GApps installed. That’s all I need now to move forward :slight_smile:
I am 9 days past the 1 year anniversary of ordering my VIM3 today :slight_smile:
still cant use it…

1 Like