Any how to for applying the 3705 fan?

In general, I will say this, if the OS itself is inclined to heat, 80 ° is not critical of course, the main thing is that the processor frequency is not reset. You better set your vim to 12 mm. fan, there are silent fans.

Haha, I like your extended heatsink, I do something similar by putting station p1 device underneath as it is full of heatsink.
You can monitor the temp with cpu-temp-speed
Just install this pkg and run it.

You can also try to do a stress test by using stress pkg and remove the pan and let the cpu reach 80°c and don’t worry arm cpu can handle upto 110° c

Btw vim3 doesn’t really get too hot even when I compile kernel or kodi for hours at full load, so idk why you think your device is getting heated alot, don’t think much I run my GT king pro 24*7 on manjaro as my build server without any fan and with high ambient temperature still it can run under 80°c.

Regarding the fan not running, I will try to do some test and see if it really doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Thank you. I can trigger the fan now manually by writing to /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/cooling_device3/cur_state. So the driver sounds like it is fine, not sure why it didn’t work before. Still cannot change the trip point though due to sysfs permissions. Trying stress test, fan kicks in beautifully at 80 C.

3 Likes