Amlogic Vs Rockchip

Very true, I agree on that point

1 Like

Yes, in that sense, we can be proud of Khadas :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

yes i agree with that as well, Thanks to the Khadas Team for being more Truthful about their products and giving a more open source Environment for us makers, Hats off :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Whatever you do avoid the S912 chip, its poorly supported by AMLogic, Khadas, Linux and Coreelec and really doesn’t perform any better than the S902x2 chips. Both the VIM1 and VIM3 have better software support and the VIM3 is miles ahead of any of the other two. Even the S905x3 in the VIM3L better the S912 by quite a margin.

Shoog

1 Like

@shoog your opinion is quite correct but remember that The VIM3 is a brand new chip and we still don’t have better drivers for it (ie. graphics etc.) and its more powerful hardware just covering up for that.
so it is evident it has greater potential !
further more the VIM3 is the ONLY SBC with the A311D chip and so any experience we gain about it, is just laid road for another manufacturer who wishes to use it.

p.s The octa core A-53 setup for a processer like the S912 is a REALLY inefficient combo,
and, the Quad core A-53 setup is widely used across multiple chip manufacturers for example, even the Rasberry pi 3 series uses it which bought that core setup to Fame in the first place

2 Likes

I would say so, Khadas has all decent boards!

1 Like

Yes that’s why I appreciate all the khadas boards, much thought is put into every board,
I will agree about Technical support provided by Amlogic, they should do a bit more for us, as being dedicated users of their SoC’s
but one cannot put khadas to blame, that have done so much for us and should be well appreciated for what they have done, and what Amlogic didn’t. :slight_smile:

I have sent more than 3 Emails to Amlogic over the course of 3 Months till now and not even a single reply, But I can get a reply from Khadas within 3 minutes, That shows their customer dedication :wink:

1 Like

I agree with you ! quality boards + smart programmers!

1 Like

Exactly!, that’s what I want to say, except you made it a bit short and sweet :blush:

1 Like

Well i went ahead and got the VIM3L and its not bad, i reflashed the OS with a version of android in the rom files i just picked one and ran with it and its been darn good.

I think i gave a total of 1bill for the kit plus a fan and supply and i would reccomend the VIM3L to anyone for its performance and value.

Android 9, Kernal 4.9.113 and build is VIM3L_pie_20200103

Seems every box i have has an issue of some kind that i dont like. The VIM3L, The VIM3 and my 2 shields are perfect. Everything works so far, its stable and runs what i need flawless.

I have about 15 or so boxes and all of the cheap ones i got off amazon each have their issues total crap shoot with them

2 Likes

Oh don’t worry this is just the beginning of the performance for the VIM3 and VIM3L, once we get full Bifrost support on VIM3, its graphics will Slay almost every SBC right now on the market :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thats an act of faith, its almost never the case that the openSource graphics drivers betters the closed source vendor driver. Noveau has been playing catch up with Nvidea hardware for over a decade and its still only barely functional.

I maybe proven wrong in this case - but I am not holding my breath.

Shoog

That is true, but you have to look at the Odroid N2 for reference here, it has its drivers and look at its graphics performance, we are expecting equal or better graphics on the VIM3, once we get those proper drivers, just hope we get them soon :neutral_face:

The N2 still uses the 4.9 kernel from AML with closed source gpu drivers as a binary.

I am just concerned that people are wrongly elevating their expectations beyond what a mainline kernel is going to be able to deliver.

Shoog

Speaking of cheating, now they are leaving themself little notes to their Tomfoolery

This box has such horrible performance, my guess is it is a RK3318 rebranded as a 905X3 but it performs like a 3318

I dont have a 3318 but its not even on par with a 905X2 and ive tried 3 or 4 different roms and its still really bad

TomFoolery 1 TomFoolery 2 TomFoolery 3

Older box X88 pro had the RK3318 in it not sure how many years old it is. Then the box i got says X88 pro X3 its a newer or so they claim its a newer box but as you can see the markings inside say 905X3 then RK3318

It does say S905X3 on the chip but its faint and looks like its reprinted when i pulled the heatsink off all the paint came with it

Interesting VIM3 doesn’t get such closed source drivers?

1 Like

Hardkernel is a really big company, Mass produced boards, just plug and play operation, with all the ROMS, not much modification, but khadas has given us the freedom to tinker with everything,

Maybe Amlogic is not liking that :thinking:, and has given us the curse of not giving us those drivers. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Whoah, why do you have so many heatsinks :sweat_smile: ?

hi) there are probably radiators for the processor and memory modules
:relieved:

Yes, I understand that from the picture :wink:
but those memory module barely makes any heat,
I would have just gave the CPU a bigger heatsink.