About Khadas VIM2 docs

Hello.

I found possilbe broken links on the page http://docs.khadas.com/social/MapoutBuildUbuntuFromScratch/ -

GPU drivers and libs for your target device.

Both links (drivers and libs) are not working now.

How did you solve issue with the Mali drivers for S912 in you libreelec distribution?
Have you found proprietary drivers for linux or your libreelec distrib still based on the libhybris, like in this libreelec https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5848-8-1-5-libreelec-8-2-for-s912/?pageNo=1 distribution?

1. So, will I be able to install your Ubuntu distribs on VIM2 or not?
  2. If yes, what driver will be for Mali in your Ubuntu distribs? Will it be libhybris or not?
  3. I plan to buy VIM2 for playing huge 4K videos @30fps and I will not buy it if it will be with libhybris - there is a lot of issues with Mali without official Mali drivers.
  4. How do Khadas plan to sell VIM2 boards without GPU drivers for linux distribs?

Thank you!

Hi ArtUrlWWW,

It seems to be that Amlogic has not released fbdev Mali libraries yet.

1. So, will I be able to install your Ubuntu distribs on VIM2 or not?
  2. If yes, what driver will be for Mali in your Ubuntu distribs? Will it be libhybris or not?
    I plan to buy VIM2 for playing huge 4K videos @30fps and I will not buy it if it will be with libhybris - there is a lot of issues with Mali without official Mali drivers.
  3. How do Khadas plan to sell VIM2 boards without GPU drivers for linux distribs?

Iā€™m saying this once again: video playback DOES NOT depend on Mali drivers. You donā€™t have to have ANY Mali driver to play a video with fully working hardware acceleration.

1 Like

I am sorry, guys, I am newbie, but I want that board for three purposes - for experiments with pins (for I2C, SPI communication with my sensors at home), for my ā€œsmart homeā€ and for playing some video stuff like online-TVs and Blue-Ray Rips in 4K. That videos are as huge as CPU i7 with NVidia GT 840m sometime lags on playing that :).
Will it play 4K@30 videos without any lags?

Itā€™s up to different video format, VIM2 can process most of the 4K video at 60fps, you can refer the video for more information.

All VIMs devices should be ideal for ā€˜Smart Homeā€™ Hub, as it spec as TV Box SoC and with maker-friendly GPIO :slight_smile:

Price of VIM 2 is too high for smart home now - about $100-$120.
For example, there are more interesting variants, like Orange Pi Plus 2E for $35!
VIM 2 is based on S912, that has nice GPU, itā€™s better to use it for both cases - for smart home and movie playing.
But price of VIM2 is too huge for tv-boxā€¦
I plan to wait, untill it will costs $35, like Orange Pi Plus 2E.

You get what you pay for. Add shipping to O2PP2E and the price is $39. The 2/16 VIM2 variant is $75, less than twice the price and you get: more than 2x better CPU, more than 3x better GPU, 801.ac WiFi, much better VPU and so onā€¦

If to compare CPU from Orange Pi Plus 2E - Allwinner H3 - and S912 frankly, we will see, that price difference for processor, that is ā€œmore than 2x better CPU, more than 3x better GPU, 801.ac WiFi, much better VPUā€ is not ā€œtwice biggerā€.
Ie, S912 costs not ā€œtwiceā€ bigger, than Allwinner H3. I mean, the price difference for 120-39 = ~$80 is not justified higher, than prices of Orange Pi Plus 2E.
I think, this such so big price difference (~$80) is for to payback dev. expenses of Khadas VIM2 and to make super-over profit from selling it on the first time, on the hype of it.
So, I think, real price of this board should be about $50-$70, with hardware components costs, production costs and a very good sellers profits.
And, it could cost about $40 too, with the smaller sellers profit.

VIM2 doesnā€™t cost $120, itā€™s $75 with free shipping.

I canā€™t agree with you. $75 - itā€™s 16GB version, $110 - for 64GB version :).

Itā€™s off topic here, anyway, I think VIM1 should be ideal for you in this price, and VIM2 will keep current price at least 1 year. :slight_smile:

Why do you compare OPi2 2/16 price with VIM2 3/64? Compare it with VIM2 2/16. Then the difference in price is ~$37. VIM2 is less than twice the price of OPi2.

Iā€™m not trying to justify or promote VIM2 board here, Iā€™m trying to tell you that your comparison is invalid.

1 Like

TouchƩ ! :slight_smile:
OK, $75 over against $39. Itā€™s ~$35 of extra charge.

OK, no problem, if you want to promote it - promote, I donā€™t mind :).

But it could be better to make boards cheaper. If it will be cheaper, more people from developing countries could buy it.

Whoops, I meant ā€œnot trying to promoteā€. :wink:

Of course, you do not, we believe to youā€¦ :rofl:
But, I am sorry, what is your profit from promoting of these boards? :sunglasses:

P. S. Iā€™m kidding ))).

it is not about promoting or not,
itā€™s about comparing what is comparable ans saying that you always get what you pay for:
there is no miracle nor magic;
price only driven people will regret their unwise choices sooner than later