96% Aluminum case and throttling test

Yes, you can confirm from the CPU clock that it is VIM3, not VIM3L.

As we all know, single cost is very expensive. ($ 200)
but, Mass production will be very cheap (I estimate it will be less than $ 20), and the black box has little effect on cooling efficiency, so it can be replaced by plastic. (The processing cost of the black box is obviously the highest2020-03-14 001053

3 Likes

Is it possible to try this test again running all six cores?

No, there is no such option.
ANTUTU TEST also does not have such an option.
These programs run only 4 cores.

Can you provide a test program that runs 6 cores at the same time?

Unfortunately I do not know of a throttling test program for Android which uses all six cores, sorry! If I get a chance I will try to check the Play Store for one. (Ideally there would be an app which tests all six cores plus GPU; the ultimate stress test!)

I downloaded a racing game.
Set the image quality to the highest. After about 3 minutes, the temperature rose rapidly to 60 ° C. The sensor shows that the 6 cores are fully loaded (as long as the game is not closed, it stays fully loaded), and then I played for 40 minutes and the temperature stabilized at 60 ~ 63 ° C.
Today my room temperature was 20C and the air conditioner was not turned on.
2020-03-14 214624

2 Likes

Excellent! That’s very good performance for passive cooling!

Yes I feel that passive cooling should work well for environments around 15-20C. If the temperature is 30-35C it would be more challenging. :smiley:

CNC machining an entire block into a box will be very expensive. If we indeed want to make the tub out of aluminum, a mould has to be made to reduce the machining time.

2 Likes

On Saturday, the temperature in my city will rise to 28 ° and I will do some tests again.

I don’t believe anyone can play indoors at 30-35 ° for a long time without air conditioners or other refrigeration equipment.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yes that’s true actually. :stuck_out_tongue:

It reaches 50ÂșC here in the summer 
 everything is AirConditioned to 22-24ÂșC :slight_smile:

1 Like

50C? What planet is that?

Hello, My tech space is in an unfinished garage, I call it the cave, no climate control for cooling. In the Summers, ambient temps can climb well above 35c. So I find it necessary to have fans on all my SBCs out there. Also have a big fan on the operator.:grin:
Great job on your case, very nice.

2 Likes

I’m based in Dubai, UAE

3 Likes

Easy for you guys to say in my place the weather is so nuts it can be assumed as electronically ‘anti- friendly’ :grimacing:

It very important for electronics to work in a climate controlled area or else it’s bad news

1 Like

your avatar its not joke :wink: its your common clothes ? ;))))

This is just the beginning :smiley:

Will reach upto 54-55C here.
You’re always welcome to hell :stuck_out_tongue:

JOKE?? :sweat_smile: yeas that’s Official Dress for the locals. :wink:

1 Like

Today the temperature did not rise to 28 ° C, at least my room temperature did not reach 28 ° C.

Room temperature: 25 ° C (without opening any refrigeration equipment)

During the test, the maximum temperature was always between 67-68 ° C.

VIM3 Pro
SC_VIM3_DEBUG_NORMAL-v5.0-20200210

I found through simulation, that tall fins spaced 5mm apart give the best passive cooling result.

The fins must also be proportioned according to their height. Fins around 10mm high must be 1mm thick, fins that are 20mm high must be 2mm thick.

Adding a gentle taper to the fin, whereby the top of the fin is 1/2 the thickness of it’s base also improves cooling efficiency slightly.

3 Likes

Yes, in theory, the larger the area in contact with the air, the better the heat dissipation effect. This is why there are many fins on the heat sink.
If you do not consider the appearance and extended functions, you only need to increase the number and size of fins according to the proportional calculation method.

I believe most people like VIM because it is small and integrates all features and performance.

The point is small size. I believe this is the original intention of KHADAS to design VIM, and it is also the reason why most people choose VIM.
As the number and size of fins and shape change, I think the processing cost will not be low.