7" MIPI DSI touchscreen questions

I’m gonna search on forum to see if I can find him/her, and hopefuly some Khadas staff can answer the MIPI voltage question :smiley:

Something like the “daughterboard” of the TS050 right? But I think the only thing that board does is splitting the big flat cable (Screen + Touch) into separate Screen and separate Touch MIPI cables

1 Like

I think we discussed that one before hand…
It has special electronics to handle things like the backlighting, power distribution…

1 Like

If I were you, I would listen to the opinion of Archangel1235 :wink:

I probabily will, I can design a PCB to adapt it. The problem is I don’t know what exactly have to adapt. If it’s only doing 50/40 pin to 30 pin it will be easy, but if it’s some backlighting, power distribution and custom ICs in like @Electr1 says the khadas daughterboard does I don’t havee any kowledge of how those screens work :confused:

I agree with you, he disorientated you

I too highly don’t suggest going into designing a PCB,
If it was something like an Arduino or a Microcontroller, you could mess around with it, if you screwed something up a little, use some bodge wire…

but here, your working with Critical signal traces and stuff, if its broken, it is broken
and you need to go back to the drawing board, trust me I am sure Khadas themselves went through multiple revisions before, they got the final clean product…

Managing all those PCB traces around critical components is tough

So, try your luck with one that has the control circuitry built in…
as @Archangel1235 said, go with a HDMI one if you can, because you have two little things I might have missed telling…

In linux:

• The Mipi panel won’t work in mainline, unless you write the MIPI driver for Mainline linux itself…

• In BSP linux (Legacy 4.9) you are stuck with the native orientation… which means no screen rotate, unless that doesn’t matter to you… (this is the reason why the TS050 is stuck in portrait mode in Linux for now…

Bonus: I have seen these HDMI to FPC cable connectors, they convert the HDMI plug to FPC for easy routing, you can get it all kinds of configurations
might be useful…

1 Like

So many words spoken, and so few words that could help
:hear_no_evil:

1 Like

I don’t mind not using mainline, can use 4.9 as it’s the only one for EEMC anyway. I can draw the elements rotated 90º if that’s the only option (to trick the portrait mode). The only thing I can’t use is HDMI as I don’t want a cable going outside and inside the box again (the screen will be embedded in the box, not external).

I’m not so worried about the PCB traces as I made various PCBs already, but more about how everything works. If only Khadas could make a 7" screen for those who need a bigger one… :laughing:

2 Likes

not required… just do the command sudo emmc-install, from the SD card running Mainline linux, and you will have Mainline linux in the eMMC :slight_smile:

Are you planning to make a portable device ? :smile:

1 Like

Yes that’s the idea! I’m prototyping it now but I just didn’t know that using a bigger screen would be so much trouble hahaha

All the best mate :smiley:
I would give some pointers from my device, but I am sure, you can do better…

I’m gonna spend some money and try the 7inch screen and designing an adapter for it, many of those LCDs have already integrated IC that manage almost everything so gonna try some luck adapting the pins (if needed) and using the driver they provide for Linux. If I succeed I’m gonna post it and probably the designed board schematics aswell, but I think I’m gonna be here asking for more doubts in the process :laughing:

1 Like

Spiffy!
Well, I wish my luck, and the best of the assistance I can offer to you :slight_smile:
Farewell on your project !

also, one last thing…If you find a panel using the Novatek NT35596 Driver IC, here is the documentation of it…
you won’t even require a driver… because it is what runs the TS050 :wink:
(only minimal tinkering to the Display timings might be necessary, if things like the resolution changes)

1 Like

Hi, please clarify why you were expelled from school in the US? :laughing:

I tried finding some with that driver already, so I could avoid some extra work :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve seen in https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-amlogic/list/ that Neil Armstrong has done some great work the last 2 weeks adding MIPI DSI support (in Amlogic SoCs). Does that mean that MIPI DSI displays will be supported in mainline soon/are already supported?
I’m quite new to that Linux inner stuff so I don’t know how to interpret the patches he uploaded or what that really means for DSI support.

sounds very interesting, we can ping @narmstrong to see if he can tell us the status :slight_smile:

Hi @Electr1 @jgalt91,

Indeed, I pushed support for the MIPI-DSI Display, but for the previous generation of SoCs (AXG, for audio products).

But good news, the G12B DSI integration is really close, so it’s only a matter of small adaptations to make it work on VIM3/VIM3L.

But note you’ll still have the native display orientation, rotation is also not supported (180deg is easy, 90deg is really complex).

I’ll do my best to work on it, but don’t expect it quickly either.

Neil

6 Likes

Amazing! Thanks for your work man
The display orientation isn’t any problem :yum:

1 Like

I’m trying to get the TS050 working in landscape mode on a VIM3L with a Debian variant of Volumio. I’m not a Linux guru, but would be interested in any documentation you have that I might apply towards this goal. Do you have a native version of Debian that is successful in rotating the screen 90 degrees? Script files? Can xrandr be used for this, or is that too simplistic and wishful thinking? :slight_smile: Any work you’ve done and willing to share would be helpful.