3rd-Party Ubuntu ROM for Khadas VIM

hi, Balbes150:
Did you compile 4.11 from official mainline linux?

I used the branch 4.12\integ

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-amlogic.git

1 Like

Does anyone using this image have a stable ethernet connection?
I’m experiencing strange network timeouts/hangs after a while without any further notification.

A corrected version of the images 20170413. The only difference is that you can perform the initial configuration via the console UART (fixed authorization root user through the console UART).

v 20170421 (default kernel 3.14.29)

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x/&do=findComment&comment=29925

1 Like

To enable BT. You need to perform two steps.

1. Add to /etc/modules to list the module

hci_uart

1. Add to the end of the initialization script (/boot/amlogics905x_init.sh) string

su -c ‘hciattach /dev/ttyS1 any’

After a reboot should turn on BT.
Information taken from this instruction The remaining steps in this manual you do NOT need to, everything you need is already in all desktop images Armbian.

Added test images Armbian (TEST 20170519) kernel 4.9.26 which employs USB.

4 Likes

hi balbes150,

thank you for that. i tried to run it, but on one vim pro with the latest ubuntu mate of khadas on emmc i only can run the 3.14 kernel with this 4.9.26 kernel on the sd-card. on the other vim pro with the newest android it stucks on the vim-logo.

could you please give me any advice?

You need to use a dtb file gxl_p212_2g.dtb for 4.9.26 (copy it to the root of the FAT partition and rename to “dtb.img”). By the way, for the image in the 4.11 need to use a dtb file from nexbox (meson-gxl-s905x-nexbox-a95x.dtb better support for all elements S905X).

1 Like

thank you, will try it soon as possible!

thank you balbes150, it works. strange, that on one vim it boots in the old kernel on the other vim in the 4.9.-kernel. seems it depends on the intern bootloader.
but there is no sound and no wifi and the moduls for my dvbsky s960ci are not built in. i am not very in touch with linux so i have to wait for the next builds but anyway thank you very much for your work!

I saw this topic today, don’t know if it works, someone with more knowledge can check this.

It looks a little complicated for me, i have never compiled anything, but i would like to learn.

1 Like

If I understand correctly that post, it actually don’t work as expected. He is just writing his opinion. The ffmpeg commit where hardware decoding for amlogic is added to ffmpeg is10 Months old and he ask others to try it to.

@Khadas Support was this tested, should it work with Kadas VIM / Pro?

Update image kernel 3.14 (v20170531)

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x/&do=findComment&comment=32811

1 Like

Test image of Ubuntu Mate KODI. It’s a predefined way. The user “user” password to “1”. The user “root” password “root”. Launch KODI should run as root user (open a console and execute “su -” enter passwd root “kodi”). This version of KODI normally plays full-screen video. After leaving their KODI the screen remains black, you need to switch to another console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and switch back (Ctrl+Alt+F7).

S9xx_Ubuntu_KODI_20170621_3_14_29.img.xz

3 Likes

hi, which one of your builds have the gpu driver enabled?

for
S9xx_Ubuntu_KODI_20170621_3_14_29.img.xz

https://yadi.sk/d/UWmLPDH63KLZ4H

2 Likes

what installation instructions to follow?

So Balbes, it isn’t possible to use this image with Vim using Nougat?

I would like to try it out, but can’t find a way, i don’t want to go back to Marshmallow to use this Ubuntu image.

1. Activate the multi-boot (if it is already activated, you can skip this step)

2. Record an image on the medium, to connect to VIM and switch on the power.

3. For starting to run KODI , open a terminal and execute the two commands.

4. To switch to root “su -” and enter the root password (in this way, the user “root” password “root”).

5. To run kodi (the “kodi”). Note that if you choose to exit KODI using the Exit item, you need to manually switch the screen (Ctrl+Att+F1 and after the appearance of the image console to perform a reverse transition in the graphics screen Ctrl+Alt+F7). Network setup and so on for KODI is running in native system, as usual in the desktop.