20th September - New Gadgets 4 Makers!

Dear Khadas Community,

We will be launching four new Khadas products for our Makers this Fall! Our launch event will be on September 20th, 2022 at 6:00 pm (GMT +8). To register your interest and be kept up-to-date on the latest developments, you can visit our event landing page below:

We have now finalized and released the full specifications for the Edge2, VIM1S, Tone2 and BT Magic. These four new Khadas products will be launched in just a few days, so be sure to follow us on social media as we will be preparing some surprises for the early birds!

Edge2

A powerful Rockchip RK3588S ARM PC - our first ARM PC! :sunglasses:

Early Bird Price

By now you must be wondering, “So when can I buy such an amazing ARM PC?”, and the answer is today! As promised our early bird discount will be valid from September 20th to October 31st.

Edge2 ARM PC, Basic
Early Bird: $229.9
Retail: $269.9
Edge2 ARM PC, Pro
Early Bird: $329.9
Retail: $369.9
Edge2 Maker Kit, Basic
Early Bird: $199.9
Retail: $239.9
Edge2 Maker Kit, Pro
Early Bird: $299.9
Retail: $339.9

Learn More: https://www.khadas.com/edge2
https://amzn.to/3iEqABl

In addition to the end-use product with an enclosure and active cooling system, Edge2 stays true to its Maker roots by also coming as a ‘Maker Kit’. This kit is a bare PCBA which has a full set of I/O headers, so Makers and OEM customers can access and make full-use of all features of the RK3588S.

List of Maker Kit I/O:

• MIPI Display (x1 30-pin 0.5mm FPC Connector)
  • Touch Display (x1 40-pin 0.5mm FPC Connector)
  • Triple Cameras (x3 30-pin 0.5mm FPC Connector)
  • CPU: I2C, UART, SPI, SDMMC, I2S, ADC, PWM, USB (x1 30-pin 0.5mm FPC Connector)
  • MCU: SWDIO, SWCLK, UART (x1 30-pin 0.5mm FPC Connector)
  • USB, UART, 5V Input (7-pin Pogo Pads)
  • Cooling Fan (4-pin 0.8mm header w/ PWM speed control)

For more information, you can view the PCBA layout diagram and full specs below:

VIM1S

When designing the VIM1S, it was our intention to stay as close as possible to the original cost and power consumption of the VIM1. Our engineers thus felt that the Amlogic S905Y4 SoC would be a good replacement for the original S905X. In our performance tests, the S905Y4 provided a moderate 15 to 20% performance boost.

Standard Pricing

Retail Price: $64.9
Learn More: https://www.khadas.com/vim1s
https://amzn.to/3w6Qq3R

Amlogic S905Y4 SoC:

• 2.0GHz Quad Core Cortex-A35 CPU
  • ARM Mali-G31 MP2 GPU up to 850MHz
  • 4K@60fps AV1, VP9, H.265 Decoding
  • Multi-video Decoding up to 4x 1080p@60fps
  • HDR10, HDR10+, HLG HDR Video Processing

For more information, you can view the PCBA layout diagram and full specs below:

Tone2

As everyone already knows, Tone2 will come in 2 colors ‘Black’ and ‘Dream Blue’, and it will also be available as a ‘Maker Kit’ with the option of an external plug-in Bluetooth audio receiver. So without further ado, we shall just list out highlights from the full specifications for you to peruse.

Early Bird Price

Tone2 is a retail product intended for the budget prosumer market, so it will have early bird pricing from September 20th to October 31st.

Tone2 Dream Blue/Black
Early Bird: $169.9
Retail: $199.9
Tone2 Maker Kit
Early Bird: $129.9
Retail: $159.9
Learn More: https://www.khadas.com/tone2
https://amzn.to/3w8UpwJ

Specification Highlights:

• XMOS XU208 processor with 8 cores & 8 threads
  • ESS ES9038Q2M for PCM 768KHz & DSD 512 (Native) decoding
  • Supports an external plug-in Bluetooth audio receiver ‘BT Magic’
  • Balanced RCA line-out (backwards compatible with standard RCA cables)
  • Multifunction Volume Knob (with HID volume control)
  • Connect linear power supplies via the USB-C (I2S) interface
  • ‘Maker Kit’ is compatible with Khadas VIM series SBCs

Tone2 Maker Kit - More possibilities for Geeks, DIYers & OEM customers

BT Magic

Hi-Res Bluetooth Audio with LDAC and aptX HD. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Standard Pricing

BT Magic is an add-on for Tone2 Pro and Tone2, so early bird pricing will not be available.

Retail Price: $45.0
BT Magic:

Now what everyone has been waiting for, the full technical specifications of the ‘BT Magic’ plug-in Bluetooth audio receiver for Tone2 and Tone2 Pro. Will it pass-muster, and will it be another acoustic heavy-weight (or paper-weight) from Khadas? Reading the full specs for ‘BT Magic’, we believe wireless Hi-Fi enthusiasts will not be disappointed.

That’s all for now folks!

• Keep your eyes peeled and stay tuned for more mouth-watering updates!
  • If you’re interested in these products, go to our events page to add yourself into the email list. :laughing:
  • If you have any feedback for our upcoming launch, please leave a comment below. :crazy_face:

Keep Making!
Khadas Team

10 Likes

Congratulations.
Edge2 is looking amazing. RK3588 basic support already present in mainline so it should be usable on mainline kernel soon.

Amlogic based Vim1S is interesting too.

Great work guys.

3 Likes

Hello @Frank

Could you tell us more about this Tone2 “Maker Kit” ? :wink:

The only information we can share now is that the Tone2 will with two different models:

• Tone2: sold with enclosure
  • Tone2 Maker Kit: sold as bare board for makers & OEM vendors

Have fun!

2 Likes

Thank’s @Gouwa !

I’ve just read Khadas Blog - New Gadgets 4 Makers! where I could find additionnals informations about these New Tone2 :wink:

Regards,

2 Likes

@Spikerguy 3588s to be exact :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

We will follow up with more information here, you can continue to pay attention.

Interesting. Only pcie3 is missing in it.

Can boot and get sd-card, emmc, cpu and lan working in current mainline with some patches.

I have few devices with rk3588 and rk3588s which i have tested on :slight_smile:

Edge2 predictions were right, unexpected form factor however, slimmest RK3588 SBC as of now I guess :smile:

2 Likes

I found this on another website regarding the 3588s and hope its not true.

PCIe speed upgrade was a feature we are/were looking forward too. Also was looking for the dual gb ethernet.

Please post a link to the BSP for the 3588s.

Also, do you have a list of carriers that will allow the 5G module to operate in the USA.

Check the block diagram

We are missing a lot of peripheral, but almost everything the SoC contains should be exposed.

I have not had much luck finding multiplexer configuration software for that SoC. Have not found much for the S version. I like the 10x UART, and 6 SPI.

@foxsquirrel For more information, please pay attention to this thread, so far all the information I can publish is here. New announcements will be posted here

Yes, I realize that. We need the same BSP tools / information package that you used to bring up the board for the first time. Thank you in advance for working with us.

@foxsquirrel Related code and tools need to wait until September 20

1 Like

RK3588S datasheet is freely available on the internet.

1 Like

Why are you posting a link that requires $69 dollars in bitcoin to download a file ???

FYI to others, that link might be dirty.

1 Like

Because you can download for free, if you’d looked. It is a very small file.