Volumio for Khadas

Hi gkkpch.

I just yesterday and today testing the installer, u-boot in SPI + a script to install Linux in the eMMC on the normal HDD. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s look like that HDMI sound not work with MPD in VIM in general. I tried with other distros and MPD and there is no problem with USB but integrated AMLM8SOUND (hw:0,0/1) not working. I have read a lot of pages related to similar problems and nothing helped at the moment, I gave up! Anyway, its work with USB sound cards and DACs and i hope will work with Khadas HAT as well. eMMC build is needed :slight_smile: @balbes150 plz

Firmware version Volumio to install to the internal eMMC. Pay attention, this version is ONLY for the VIM2 (S912). Universal version for installation in all models will be later.

5 Likes

@balbes150, Happy New Year!
Is it possible for you to make an eMMC build of Volumio for VIM? VIM2 is to much power and too expansive to be used for Volumio only. I am afraid that if guys from volumio make an official image this image will not be compatible with other Linux audio bridges. For example, Volumio on RPI is not compatible with official Roon Bridge for v8 or 7hf… Not having proper HDMI output is not a huge drama for Volumio lovers, be cause usually they don’t use HDMI output :slight_smile:

@numbqq share the LibreELEC-eMMC patch.

The new version of Volumio. Volumio-0.4-2018-01-06-vim-armv7.

In this version added a script to install Volumio to eMMC all s9xxx. Please note that this test script installed in eMMC and there may be errors.

Therefore, I recommend to use a script only those who know how to restore the system when it crashes.

To install the OS in eMMC you need to perform these steps.

1. To run Volumio from external media (the startup process described earlier).
  2. To test the system from external media.
  3. Run as user “root” script “install.sh”. This script will perform a system install in eMMC.
    Run script “install.sh” you can run directly on the TV box with keyboard, or through an SSH connection.

Important. I checked in the eMMC install Volumio on VIM (S905X) with firmware VIM_Nougat_V171028.
I have not tested how it will work the script with other versions of firmware.

2 Likes

Hi @gkkpch . It would be good if you add in the Volumio interface additional menu item to install the OS in eMMC. I think it will be enough to add a menu item that will execute the script “install.sh” (the script name can be changed to any other). Can check the interface, if there is a script /usr/bin/install.sh to show in the system menu the install button (which will execute the script).

Tested the install script on the VIM2 (S912). Everything works.

In this regard, there is no need to continue installation of Volumio for the VIM2 (S912) through the firmware.

VIM2_Volumio_3.14/KVIM2-emmc.img.gz

Within a few days, I will remove from site the old version installed in the eMMC. If anyone needs the old version installed, please download it to you.

1 Like

I’m using VIM only for LibreELEC, because the performance of RaspberryPi is not capable of playing HEVC 4K.

However, anything else that is within RaspberryPi’s capability, I would use a Pi instead, simply because it’s easier and most of the time you get official support.

In this case, my retired Pi2 is working as a PiHole box, Pi3 is working as a Volumio box.

1. IMHO For Khadas already have official support for Volumio. In the coming months will be implemented to work on all elements.
  2. PRI no eMMC, no WiFi, no BT, no built-in support for remote control, no complete system power management, poorly implemented USB controller and the wired network.
  3. IMHO At the moment, the RPI can be used if it is already available. Buying a new PRi to work with the media is not justified. He loses on all parameters, the simplest TV boxes. The only area where the RPI is justified, it is the designers that use modules to control external devices (temperature sensors, etc.).
2 Likes

I am not going deeply to explain the problem of RPi playing audio, but having streamer that miss one of two basic clock frequency …
… and all known work around solutions even Kali are big compromise from the audio quality perspective. The same quality (i am scared to say better) you can get for less money going for nanopi or orangepi :wink:

You are unhuman @balbes150! I don’t have time to test now, but i’ll do this for sure later this week. Just to clear for my self, this image fits all VIMs (VIM, VIM Pro, VIM2, VIM2 Max)?

Yes, I checked the Volumio install to the eMMC on the VIM1 Pro (S905X) and VIM2 Basic and Max (S912). I think on other models Khadas it works.

I have installed Volumio now (905X Pro version). First shoot:

Spotify, Youtube and Squeezelite plugins worked.
AirPlay and UPNP worked.
Roon Bridge have been installed without any problem.

LMS plugin not working (expected)
WiFi and Hotspot not working out of the box
HDMI still not working correctly in Volumio but work for squeezbox and roon and trough AirPlay and UPNP.
USB DAC (simple 5$ and complicate one tested) worked

Will transfer to eMMC and play with later tonight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the test

WiFi is the worst decision for the network. By default WiFi is disabled. If you need WiFi - you need to load the module.

You are right but for streaming audio, especially for multi room is needed some time. Volumio is a headless by concept and having hotspot working on first boot you can configure your streamer without having wired connection for example.
Anyway, what is important for me at the moment is to install Spotty (librespot) on Volumio image. Spotify plugin works fine but i want have opportunity to use official app on my phone/tablet/pc as control and not to stream trough AirPlay for example :slight_smile:

Good work balbes150. Thank you!

Hi @gkkpch .
Where can I see this script ?
I want to try to install Volumio in a working system Armbian.

Hi balbes150, I like your work and support to Khadas.

1. I meant the official support from Volumio to develop adapted version for Khadas. I see that a lot projects they target RPI, e.g. LibreELEC, Volumio, PiHole and etc. In this case, I see better upstream support.

2. I agree, although RPI3 has crappy WiFi and BT which only made it sufficient for 1080p video and Volumio.

3. Sure.

Hi Stefan, thanks for the tips.

I’m mainly using RPI3 for Volumio, playing files from NAS and via AirPlay.

I have my DAC attached to RPI3 via the USB port. I didn’t spot any problem and the audio seemed to be great.

I’d like to hear your tips to make the setup work better :wink:

Hey Madwyn,

RPi is good DIY platform and have really good support from expansion boards perspective including audio in general. I am not saying that RPi is bad for general audio use but from real audiophile perspective only. Actually VIM is not the best choice as well (theoretically) because Amlogic not support external masterclock. But using VIM is better than RPI for sure if you don’t do real expensive reclock. VIM support both basics frequencies needed for proper audio operation on 44.1, 88.2 … and 48, 96 …

1 Like