openSUSE for Amlogic

Test images with openSUSE. The user - root , password linux

https://yadi.sk/d/_nL_VUXa3JEuij

Version Jos is a minimal console-based system.
Version LXQT is GUI system.

The procedure for the use of the standard. Download, unzip, burn to external media. To activate the multi-boot (if multiboot is already activated, then you can skip this step). After running enter as root with the password linux. Pay attention, these images have NO function to auto-expand the root partition to the whole drive. This must be done manually, for example using the gparted program. To use, settings you need to apply the appropriate resources.
The first run is recommended to run without manually copying the dtb file. If the system is within 5-10 minutes will not display on the screen your status, you must complete the procedure of selecting the right dtb file. Copied from existing directory in the root of file and have to rename it to “dtb.img” is checked run this file if the system does not start, try on a queue other files.

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:ARM

////////
I checked the possibility to build and run from external media openSYSE on TV boxes with S905\S905X\S912. As it turned out, it is quite simple. You need to download one of the server images Armbian (you can use the desktop images, but they are bigger and there is no difference which image to take for the original). The choice can be used either with kernel 3.14 or 4.11. The difference in support additional items (USB, GPU, etc.). On s905X and s912 , for example Khadas VIM when using kernel 3.14 everything works, but when using 4.x will not work USB, ie you can use the control either via UART or SSH (although the graphics will be displayed on the screen, but you cannot type with keyboard or mouse). In S905 (e.g. at Tronsmart Vega S95), you can use the full both the kernel 3.14 and 4.11 (USB works). After you unpack and burn the image to media, you need to copy\save with the written medium, from the second section (ROOTFS) on the PC the directory /lib/firmware and /lib/modules and the file /bin/fbset. Then remove all directories and files from that partition on the storage media and write the contents the root of the archive openSUSE. Next, copy (to return back to the media) the previously stored two directories /lib/firmware and /lib/modules and the file /bin/fbset. When you use the 4.11 kernel, after copying all files, you can immediately begin to use the prepared medium as usual in multi-boot mode (details of how to activate multiboot on TV boxes, there are many forums and here). When using kernel 3.14 need to register in the autostart script run amlogics905x_init.sh (chmod 755). This script performs configuration and activation monitor-3.14 (without this, the screen will appear the image in this version of the kernel). Soon I will upload the finished images where everything is already done for you for system start up. Further set up and use openSUSE, you need to perform the instructions of the openSUSE WiKi. The user - root , password linux .

7 Likes

LXQT

https://yadi.sk/i/iav7YqKp3JFC6v

Pay attention to image kernel 4.x you need to use a dtb file meso-gxl-s905x-nexbox-a95x.dtb , there is better hardware support for S905X.

Hi, balbes150
I tried to compile the mainline kernel,but the usb not work on khadas vim.
Do you have any ideas for it ?
Thanks.

Hi terry
According to my information, yet in mainline kernel there is no full USB support. As a workaround you can try to use kernel from Amlogic (4.9.26). It works on s905x and s912. I gathered with this test-images Armbian (test 20170519), all major components are working (USB, eth, HDMI). In the near future I plan to update all the images (including openSUSE) with this kernel. If you’re interested, you can try the branch “amlogic” in my GIT or to take the kernel from buildroot 20170515.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I have added images of openSUSE with kernel 4.9.26 (which has USB). By default, the image already included the file “dtb.img” S905X. For use on the platform S912 in the manual to replace the dtb to the appropriate for her.

Good news for OpenSUSE users. With the latest version of u-boot-2018, you can easily run the latest versions of OpenSUSE. I downloaded the latest version from XFCE from here.

Installing the openSUSE Tumbleweed Image (direct disk access)
https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:AArch64_EFI

Unpacked. Recorded on a USB flash drive image OpenSUSE. Inserted USB flash drive in VIM (in eMMC VIM was previously installed the latest version of Armbian with u-boot-2018, but you can just write to eMMC new u-boot-2018 without installing Armbian). Turned on the power and after 10 minutes got Xfce desktop with OpenSUSE. I pay attention, I didn’t do any manual manipulations with an image on the carrier, everything was defined automatically (UEFI).

p.s.
login root
passwd linux

If you use a DVD image for installation, it also runs and, if you have a UART console, you can run the installation procedure. But I didn’t check the setup. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any other alternative links to download this image?

I’m not an OpenSUSE developer, ask about it on their forum.

Unable to download the Images

Write on the forum OpenSUSE, that would be corrected.

The Amlogic is something which will be going to find out the several ways to get the perfect work to do so logitech h111 mic not working enhance the possibilities to ensure the part which will be going to find the better way.

Guys, can someone help with information on how to install OpenSUSE on Khadas VIM3?

Any reference article or wiki will be also helpful to try and port.