Khadas VIM2 Preview

Where do you find the heatsink? How do you fix it to the board? Is a heatsink necessary or optional for “normal” usage (youtube spotify netflix…)?

How do you find how to plug that extension card to the VIM?

My heatsink has glue.

“heatsink necessary or optional for “normal” usage” - it can be tested only empirically. I will use the VIM in my car where it can be very hot.
extension - see to this

Are sources available?

I’m very much looking forward to building Android Nougat for VIM2 which has arrived to me yesterday :smiley:

Hi,

yes sources are available on github.

S.

So it is the same android_manifest just some different command to build vim2 instead of vim?

Yes, It is the same android_manifest.

For VIM2:

# Build u-boot
make CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu kvim2_defconfig
make CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu
# Build Android
$ source build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch  kvim2-userdebug-64
$ make -jN otapackage

1 Like

Hi,

I wrote a simple bash script with introduction and steps. You can see it at khadas git as pull pull request or at my github.com/ssehovic
S.

Hi @tasinofan, are you using gentoo on VIM2? Just for desktop or also for media centre? Did you have any problems with drivers?

Thanks!

@jpataias
I ordered 2 VIM2 and will soon let you know. I initially do not plan to use it as gentoo media center.
One could use LE or Android on VIM2 for that. I rather plan to use gentoo with vanilla linux to build simple dedicated network appliances like a router or an access point of a hotspot. Later, if open source graphical performance permits, I will perhaps build gentoo media center from source.
I also want to try the DVB board (I guess for now Android and maybe LE), eventually also gentoo,

1 Like

Awesome, built, successfully installed and it works :slight_smile:

Were you able to install Gentoo? I made one try so far but with no success.

# uname -a
Linux localhost 4.13.0-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 6 02:12:03 CEST 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Yes, I could boot and run minimal (say stage3) gentoo, but, for now it is work in progress (with much help from others). I am struggling with dracut no longer working and try to boot without initrd.

Which gentoo install procedure did you try?