We research an Ubuntu image built by Balbes150, which is tested available on Khadas VIM, here we write a guidance to install the Ubuntu image on VIM for early bird, and our official will release soon.
Download the image to SD card
Download the the image and extract:
$ xd -d Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_desktop_20161223.img.xz
Insert a SD card into your PC, and run
dd command to write the disk image into SD card:
$ sudo dd if=Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_desktop_20161223.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
- Don't forget to run
sync command to make sure synchronize cached writes to SD card.
- You can also install the image via using a Windows PC, refer here for details.
- As the image released by Balbes150 haven't built-in the bootloader yet, you still need to do one more step below.
Make the SD card bootable
Insert the TF card into your PC, and make sure the disk is unmounted:
$ umount /dev/sdb1
Format the TF Card as Fat32:
$ sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1
Download the u-boot blob released for Khads VIM, and run
dd to write it into the first sector of SD Card:
$ sudo dd if=u-boot.bin.sd.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=1 count=444 && sync
$ sudo dd if=u-boot.bin.sd.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=512 skip=1 seek=1 && sync
Eject the SD card:
$ sudo eject /dev/sdb
Boot from the SD card
As Khadas VIM support many different types of boot disk(SD card, USB-Disk and onboard eMMC storage), so it's needed to figure out one manually to boot up if there are more than two bootable media exist at the same time. Ways to boot from the bootable SD card you created aboved:
Erase the eMMC and Khadas VIM will boot from the SD card automately.
- Force enter into MaskRom mode first, then Khadas VIM will try to boot from SD card.
- Long press the
Function button to boot from SD card.(Need upgrade to the latest ROM first)
- Make sure that the SD card is a bootable card and writed with the right disk image aboved.
- eMMC is the 1st boot disk for Khadas VIM, so if there are bootable ROM on eMMC, the hardware will boot from eMMC first.
Function button mode: the hardware will boot from eMMC first, then switch to load the image/ROM on SD card via software approach.
Done! You can now insert the SD card into your Khadas VIM and power up.
Password: 1234 (Will tip you to create a new one at the first booting)
- There is not booting Logo displayed, so the monitor will always black until device boot into the desktop.