Windows Apps On The Edges.....Hmmmm

Saw an article on CNX talking about x86 emulator on ARM SoCs, 32bit only. It is called Box86. Anyone have experience with it? Do tell.

yes, I have tons. I am from PiLABs, probably the only channel that cover box86. we.made TwisterOS as an easy platform for box86 on RPI4. I am making a similar image for RK3399. you will need multiarch or chroot to use it on aarch64. I also asked CNX to make that article :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Box86 is just a App emulation layer, for even more advanced purpose,
QEMU allows you to even virtualize Windows on top of Linux itself for example.
that is more intensive than Box86’s approach, but may be worth testing too :slight_smile:

Hello, Thank you for the information. I watched the videos in your other post, I appreciate your efforts. I am only a casual Linux user, but I thought Box86 would be of interest to Edge users, so I posted this thread.
I look forward to your efforts on the 3399.

2 Likes

QEMU can only virtualize WoA (not x86) bc it’s the same arch. and even then you don’t have HW acceleration. BOX86 is way more efficient and have HW acceleration. look at the WoR framerates on games and then you have the answer on what to expect from software rendering.

2 Likes

i was referring to running windows generic ARM image, sry I didn’t mention it.
of course with that you can only run Windows in S mode, and its pretty limited in availability of compatible applications

but not only that. software render is the real bad side.

1 Like

I see you impressed @NicoD with Box86 on the 3399. I do not think he is easily impressed, speaks volumes. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I do not think he is easily impressed, speaks volumes. :slightly_smiling_face:

Am I? At least you watched my video :slight_smile: Thanks for the view.

2 Likes

I said you were not easily impressed.
I always enjoy your videos. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lol, I did read that wrong. Thank you.
I’ve been impressed a lot the last weeks, this image, 32-core server, threadripper 3990x. I like to be impressed.

1 Like

Me too. I like to say I’m easily underwhelmed. :grin:

I have not had AMD since the Thunderbird series. I always liked AMD for their value. Nice to know they have some impressive CPUs. 64 cores, 128 threads, my how things have changed.

2 Likes

another vid

2 Likes