Windows 10 ARM64 version on VIM3?

Microsoft has released a full Windows 10 version for ARM64. Would it be possible to run this on the VIM3? Or is this a silly thought? Would be curious to see how it works.

I’ve noticed that people successfully installed it on a Raspberry Pi 3 in the past.

4 Likes

Sounds interesting for me too.

me too:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Try doing it on a sd card it might work but i thought windows10 requires a UEFI bootloader to load?
Check a video made by LinusTechTips on youtube
(How to boot win10 from an SD card)

Allwinner have worked with Microsoft to get a UEFI bootloader for ARM for their devices. Alot of work is going-on on Windows IOT for arm.

https://github.com/KNNSpeed/Simple-UEFI-Bootloader-ARM64

Those who are interested in windows for arm get try to port Windows IOT for arm to VIM3. Would be happy to test but will never use windows as daily driver hahaha.
All the best.

5 Likes

Though the OS is windows many applications require Intel or AMD x86 architecture processors to function and so it is not very viable to use it.

On the other hand, windows is not very optimized on smaller devices especially with mid to low level ARM chipsets so you wouldn’t even expect decent performance for minor workloads :smile: it’s your choice though to use it

3 Likes

Frankly, I only need office for arm and a couple more apps for arm, then I can forget x86 all together.

(I have a gaming windows desktop for all x86 heavy duty stuff)

@Yasir_Javed Libre-office is a wonderful tool to use as a daily replacement for office365 :slightly_smiling_face:
as for gaming, I don’t play anything more intensive than minecraft and super tux cart on my VIM3 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I have used libra office but it’s looks are not that good. I prefer WPS or softmakers freeoffice.

You can change it theme as per your comfort. Replicate ms office theme if you want.

Don’t expect ms to work on arm smoothly in nest future or you will get disappointed.

The ribbon interface is available in libra office? Really?

Just quick ddg search have me this link.
Try this guide

1 Like

Yep, I did eventually Google it after your reply but this is nothing like Ms Office, I guess WPS or free office will be a better alternative.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.

run in raspberry pi 4

1 Like

Seems great although rpi4 support does not mean it will arrive on vim3 anytime soon. Which is sad really, because vim3 can probably run it much much better than rpi4

if you want you can still run windows ARM generic images in QEMU on the VIM3,
they should run but it will run quite sluggish, but it an possible thing to try…

qemu is qemu, native is native. SBCs are already very low powered devices compared to traditional desktops so i really prefer native stuff wherever possible. Anyone buying an ARM board should really keep the software availability in mind before doing so, because if you NEED an x86/x64 software, then ARM board is a dealbreaker even if it has great specs.
(Possible exceptions are extremely high powered CPUs like the M1-Apple arm SOC which has really no trouble with emulation/translation of x86/64 due to very well-optimized rosetta framework)

if so why even bother trying to run windows anyway ?
windows is already bloated for ARM, why even try running it ?

unix/posix is a very lightweight operating system, with little to no overhead,
and linux is free and open, what else do you need ?

that is a whole sub-level of hardware and software bindings for running x86 translation, we shall not go into that rabbit hole

As i already said, i dont need Windows on ARM. The only application i really think i am missing is the full MS Office but I have found some suitable alternatives.

See my previous reply:

Regarding Why try windows? Coz thats fun :slight_smile: No good reason actually, specially when we have fully working ubuntu, manjaro and android which basically cover all the apps a casual user might ever need.

1 Like

there is no way to modify it to work in vim3, always good, because it has many applications that it only has for windows.