Where to start for new Khadas VIM? (for Ubunutu)

I have been going based on assumptions that the Raspberry Pi 3 needs about ~1500mA at peek that this unit would need more than 900mA. If that is the case then it would seem the Khadas VIM could not be powered by only one power input, no?

BTW, thank you for all your help!

As I understand it, both the Vin header and the USB-C port can handle 2A. I think they share a 2600mA fuse.

When using Amlogic USB Burning Tool to install an update on AML devices, I disconnect the box’s power supply. When the tool fails to recognize the box, the box goes on to boot, powered only through the PC’s USB port. I was using an old Windows slate to burn a box one day. I had set the tool to reset the device after burn. When the burn was done, the box rebooted. I forgot to reconnect the power supply to the box and played with it for at least an hour before I realized it was running from the PC’s USB port. During that hour I tested Kodi on 4K content, played Asphalt 8 Airborne and other high-load apps. The box seem to have no trouble running from the PC port’s available 500mA.

These devices are amazingly efficient.

Hmm, low power requirements would be good.

Where I think we are likely to max the requirements if if our customers (accidentally) program an infinite loop and cause the PHP process and web server to take up the whole CPU, or if they run a MySQL query that takes a really long time to run.

What do you use the Khadas VIM for? Personal use or to sell as a product?

Learning aid. :smile:

Yes, just personal use, i.e. learning and fun.

BTW I do not have a USB port voltage/current tester, or we could find out what max current draw is. While I have a multimeter, I would need to make a breakout to test for current. I keep meaning to order one of the little port testers, but keep forgetting.

Looks like something in my future. Thanks.

I like the little MantisTek, but it is more expensive. It is a nice little unit according to a friend.
But any would do.

Okay, so I have tried and the VIM now will not boot to Android or Linux.

I am on Mac so I had to use xz to extract rather than xd.

I am trying to run Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_20170118.img since I want headless.

I had to change bs=4M to bs=4m for dd command and of=/dev/disk6s1 for disk after running diskutil list to identify my disk.

When I ran umount /dev/disk6 it said umount: /dev/disk6: not currently mounted so I ignored this.

Instead of sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1 I had to run sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAt32 KHADASVIM /dev/disk6

Instead of sudo eject /dev/sdb I clicked to eject from inside Finder UI.

I ereased EMMC using Key Mode although I am not sure about U-Boot running since I do not understand that.

Then I inserted card into Khadas VIM and connected USB-C port. Nothing; my TV sees no HDMI signal.

Help?

I am wondering if I should be running a different command that umount? Also, do I understand that we dd the image BEFORE we format FAT32?

I started a new thread and my questions were effectively answered here.