When will we see a VIM4?

Media support in the upstream codebase is incomplete so if you need media capabilities you will need to use the vendor Linux 4.9 codebase; which becomes a 5.4 codebase with the A311D2, though the good news of a newer kernel is dulled by Amlogic simply forward-porting their old code. If you don’t need the media capabilities the A311D2 looks sufficiently similar to the current A311D(1) that support upstream should be simple to add and I expect users will be able to run modern u-boot and the latest or recent LTS kernels where software support is much cleaner, without too much effort.

Fixing media support in the upstream kernel needs some USD investment. I’d love for “the community” to solve this problem, but the gene pool of talent with the skills to do this is limited to a few professional developers who need to be compensated for the large amount of time and effort involved. The current (staging) kernel drivers need to be heavily refactored rather than “fixed” with a few patches, and the userspace v4l2m2m APIs are not published yet which complicates adding support to userspace apps like G-Streamer and FFMpeg. Fixing the Amlogic media situation is IMHO too much $$ for a single benefactor or even a couple of benefactors who agree to share the costs. In the past Google funded work but strategies and priorities changed and the work dried up. It’s a real shame, but it is what it is.

NB: IMHO The Pi Foundation are unlikely to release a new generation of chip so fast. We might see a bump in speed or a minor chip change elsewhere on the board in response to component shortages, but not an entirely new SoC. I’ll also point out that the success of RPi boards is all about software. Their hardware has always been a compromise to keep costs down, and there have always been a ton of better spec boards with faster and more powerful SoCs available in the market. However if you need to maintain and long-term support a product based on an SBC board; rather average hardware with A1+ software support always trumps A1+ hardware with rather average software; because your long-term cost is about support not the initial purchase of components.

4 Likes

with a 5.4 Kernel as BSP, does that mean panfrost would work out of the box ?

Panfrost might technically be present in an earlier iteration but it’s not stable until more recent kernels (perhaps 5.10 as a minimum) and since Amlogic uses mali_kbase in their BSP sources i’d have low expectations for that patching being done (or being sensible). Panfrost is also written around upstream kernel DRM drivers and the Amlogic BSP has it’s own completely separate DRM layer, so I’d say it’s a definite NO to OOB support.

NB: I’ve also been told that support for older chipsets like GXL/GXM was not forward-ported (which is normal behaviour for Amlogic) so manufacturers like Khadas who need to support a range of hardware generations will be forced to support multiple BSP kernels in their images. It’s never impossible to do, but it all adds to the background workload and complexity of support. It’s one area where the upstream kernel (where backwards compatbilitiy is important) makes life a lot easier for everyone.

2 Likes

also what FHD videos are you facing issues with ?

stock ubuntu versions have video playback issues. I tried all of them. Only android works stable in this sense. The thing is have you tried youtube 1080p videos? not playing etc.

consider using an SSD over eMMC, you will have much better endurance and drive speeds :slightly_smiling_face:

I do not understand what you mean. If what you’re talking about is expanding with m2x, why would I do that?

its already been done :slightly_smiling_face:

I do understand 32 GB can feel a little claustrophobic, maybe something up to 64GB would have been a nice touch but, as discussed many times before, having large quantities of eMMC doesn’t make sense, its not a very fast and is quite expensive, better than simple SD cards, but when it comes to something that is much more effective cost wise and reliable, SSDs are much better in this area

1 Like

months ago I watched this video and bought vim 3. But I didn’t find what I expected. Ubuntu does not play smoothly as in the video.

breaks are evident in the video, but not too much! There is a lot of breaking in real life.

On linux we are limited to CPU playback in the general sense, @fkaraokur, however:.

On my VIM3 pro, 30fps, 1080p vp9 from youtube plays fine in mpv, using ~115% cpu as reported by top.

Using mplayer, I get only 59% cpu usage on the video, no frame drops.

CPU governor is set to performance, 2.2ghz

OS is Devuan Ceres.

Some things that might cause poor playback might be playing in a browser (avoid that), or a desktop environment / windowmanager introducing overhead.

Do note the huge performance win using mplayer. It is the fastest cpu only video player on arm.

All attention should be paid to the CPU temperature, especially in Ubuntu.

This shows how more optimized codecs make much bigger differences :slightly_smiling_face:

Has anything new materialized with regard to the VIM4?

@Silver We are debugging, you will see it soon

2 Likes

Will it support POE + data on a single NIC?

So any update on how Vim4 debugging and use are progressing?

Also how is the software support doing?

@theguyuk Most of the functions have been verified, and some are in progress

1 Like

Hi Frank, thanks for the update. Any ETA for the release or pre-order? I don’t want to miss it by just a month or 2 buying a VIM3 now.

Thanks!

2 Likes

@c3V6a2Vy It will take about two months. There is a Chinese New Year

2 Likes

looking forward to it and happy new year!

@c3V6a2Vy It’s Chinese New Year in a few days and I can’t wait to go home for the festival :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Happy Chinese New Year too!!!

3 Likes

I see vim4 Krescue and vim4 Android demo os in dl.khadas.com… Wew, my vim3 already outdated :cry:

1 Like

Hi

So how close are things to Vim4 going on sale?

Have you hit any major issues or are things proceeding smoothly?

Cheers