Volumio for Khadas

for me its true! i have clean my emmc! and this image can not work standalone ! )))

i can make same screenshots ))

You can take any screenshots, it will not teach you to read the instructions. :slight_smile:

You will also suggest that all users clean eMMC to run different systems on their hardware. It’s the stupidest sentence can think of. :slight_smile:

i just talk about what → this image very limited ! nothing more !

The latest image can boot from emmc ?

Let me make a few things clear to help stop this argument.

1. The vim1 image I linked to was built on the Volumio server, based on @balbes150 work, with the addition of myVolumio functionality.
  2. This image was NOT meant to run standalone, it continues to use the afore mentioned multiboot principle.
  3. To get this image working on other boards, e.g. the vim2, can be done with the information @balbes150 supplied . All the other dtb’s are still there were they should be.
  4. This version will work on eMMC as well, again, using the information @balbes150 supplied to move the partitions to eMMC.

That said, yes, it would be nice to have a standalone version on SD or eMMC. Many Volumio users do not care to preserve Android and bought the vim1/ vim2 (and the new VIM3L) board for audio only. We would like to have the opportunity to supply such a version.

Also, last year @balbes150 built a version with kernel 4.18, which failed at the web interface. At that time we could not help, due to other priorities. I’m offering support now as this is a known problem with Volumio armv7 userland on an arm64 board with a mainline kernel. There is a simple solution for it, needs a few new kernel configuration settings and an addition to the volumio config build script. Succesfully done for odroid n2, rock64, sopine64, cubox pulse, nanopi etc.

I’m curious to know what that means ?

After installing the system in eMMC, there is no longer any Android in eMMC.

Hi, do you know when for VIM3 is ready ?

as already told by PM, it is ready when it’s ready.
You are not going to get a different answer from other people, unless they have their own build.
And these will have no “myVolumio” and likely a failing SPDIF/HDMI output when based on kernel 4.9.
We’re sorting out the issues on kernel 4.9 with Khadas, just bear with us a little longer.

As soon as test images are available, we will communicate.

2 Likes

Why you reply like this, I don’t like this answer, this is not professional

1 Like

Did you decide to use this old and insecure shit 4.9 (with the security system completely destroyed)?

We are aware of that version being amlogic’s proprietary way of doing things. But when it gives us working wifi, bluetooth, hdmi and spdif out, then the answer is yes, likely as a first version.
We need these options now, not in 2 or 3 months or later. There are good reasons for it.
A first version with 4.9 gives us more time to play around with mainline.
Our goal is 5.4 LTS, with all audio options, wifi and bluetooth.

1. You are the developer of Volumio and decide what to do and how to do it.
  2. Volumio is a music player, video playback is not critical for it and it does not matter whether the full-screen video works or not.
  3. Basically, almost everything you need for Volumio works (HDMI sound, BT) to mainline >=5.2, except the built-in WiFi . But built-in WiFi is an evil that significantly spoils the work of other systems (interferes with the output of high-quality sound, interferes with the work of USB) and in principle should be removed from the device (or completely disabled). If you want to use WiFi, it should be performed as an external module and place it as far as possible from all devices, to avoid interference, and be sure to have a full antenna. And the case must be completely metal to protect the components from interference.
  4. With all due respect to the developers of Volumio, personally, I would not under any circumstances, run in i’m local network this shit 4.9, because it is a gateway to all sorts of freaks and bandits to all devices in the local network and all personal data on them (credit card numbers, accounts to resources, etc.).

p.s. By the way, my first versions of Volumio, which did not have WiFi, were in demand even more than with WiFi. just because of the minimal interference with high-quality sound, where they strive to remove as much as possible everything that can cause interference…

1 Like

looks like problem solved ( still have some with VIM3 only - and we try solve it )

i think volumio can support two kernels legacy and mainline already

@balbes150
can we get working SPDIF I2S HDMI for mainline kernel for every VIMx device ?
i have checked only HDMI

PS: about volumio release or pre-release
we try solve some small problems with on-board audio, and make testing them !!!

1 Like

Linux 5.6 should have enough upstream audio code for S/PDIF to work on G12B/SM1 hardware but I’m not sure what alsa config or device-tree changes would be required for the tone board. The amlogic-5.5-integ branch in my linux git repo has all the current patches submitted to the mailing list applied and the U200 (Amlogic G12A reference board) device-tree looks to be a superset of audio options - so might be a source for prior art.

Baylibre are still working on audio drivers for GX* devices (development that is being funded by the aweseome open-source supporting folks at LibreComputer). I have been told that Linux 5.6 is the target release for that work, and rc6 in the previous release is normally the cut-off point for changes being readied for the merge-window. So if the original timescales are still valid (not guaranteed) the initial submission to the mailing list needs to come in January.

TL/DR; audio on mainline probably needs another two kernel iterations (5.5/5.6) to have broad device coverage but there’s enough support today with a little cherry-picking of commits to start experimenting on VIM3/3L with VIM1/2 to follow-on reasonably soon.

NB: I’ve always wanted to look at building Volumio (or one of the MPD derived apps) under the LE build-system. We largely support the same hardware and our build-system already supports most of the source packages required. Volumio is packaged smaller than some of the others, but a general purpose OS comes with so much bloat (our pi images are ~120MB). Maybe something for the future.

1 Like

I do not have SPDIF equipment for testing, but according to information from some users, SPDIF works on several TV boxes (with different s9xxx chips).

IMHO the most optimal option for the development of Volumio, go to the option of the addon to LE (for example, stop KODI and work in the usual autorun mode, as an independent application). It solves a lot of problems at once. Full access to all hardware platforms that are already well supported for the full operation of Volumio (it does not need a video decoder).

1 Like

hello.

I have a vim 2 max and I will receive a tone board khadas, a sacred moment that I no longer use my hi-fi equipment which is thirty years old, but which I keep, a nad amplifier, cd cambridge audio, which software to use. lots of cd and vinyl.

thank you

hello.

I managed to use krescue and installed volumio, on vim 2 max.
but the desk is bigger than my TV screen.
I guess you need a volumio subscription to be able to use it.

which software used to put cd has a format much better than mp3 or wav.

thank you

Your questions relate to a completely different version, which is not related to the images from this topic. I can’t move your messages to a new topic, so create a new topic for them.

1 Like