Volumio for Khadas

It is very GOOD news!!!

Error text when you try to use the built-in sound system (AMLM8AUDIO). Maybe it’ll help knowing understand why, why does not output sound via HDMI.

Failed to open “alsa” [alsa]; Error opening ALSA device “hw:0,0”; snd_pcm_hw_params_set_buffer_time_near() failed: Invalid argument

Discovered an interesting nuance. If you try to play through HDMI system sounds (file “.wav” for testing Alsa), Volumio plays the sound fine, without errors. It’s okay to play system sound through HDMI when running Volumio. It turns out that playback via HDMI works, but lacks some settings or decoders.

1 Like

I think with the release of the module from Khadas, he will also be able to work well with Volumio. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The founder of Volumio contacted us for further cooperation days ago, we shipped two free samples for them.

So I think things will move forward :wink:

Rock it up!

6 Likes

Good news!!!
Thank you!

Good news indeed!

I think it will be a good idea to have Volumio working on VIM from the eMMC as an alternative to SD. Running from the eMMC will increase performance significantly especially for those that have really big music database.

We will release eMMC version rom this month

1 Like

Add a script that will install Volumio in eMMC, it is easy. I still didn’t do it just because it still does not work built-in sound system AMLM8AUDIO.

2 Likes

Hi Guys,
I just have installed Roon Bridge on volumio (balbes150 build) on VIM. It was really peace of cake because of the original Roon Labs script worked directly. You only have to follow the errors and install missing software :wink: Working version is for armv7hf! HDMI sound is working in Roon on first shoot. I will test it more deeply later.

2 Likes

Its look like the hw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0(or 1) is the proper interface. When i have time i’ll check every single interface reported, one by one. I will attach spdif cable and HDMI to see what is where and whay :slight_smile: This is what i got from volumio for AML audio hardware:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AMLM8AUDIO [AML-M8AUDIO], device 0: I2S.39 T9015-audio-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AMLM8AUDIO [AML-M8AUDIO], device 1: SPDIF.40 dit-hifi-1 []
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: AMLM8AUDIO [AML-M8AUDIO], device 2: PCM.41 pcm2bt-pcm-2 []
Subdevices: 1/1

or

null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO
AML-M8AUDIO,
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO
AML-M8AUDIO,
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0
AML-M8AUDIO,
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=1
AML-M8AUDIO,
dmix:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=2
AML-M8AUDIO,
dsnoop:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0
AML-M8AUDIO,
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=1
AML-M8AUDIO,
dsnoop:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=2
AML-M8AUDIO,
hw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0
AML-M8AUDIO,
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=1
AML-M8AUDIO,
hw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=2
AML-M8AUDIO,
plughw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0
AML-M8AUDIO,
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=1
AML-M8AUDIO,
plughw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=2
AML-M8AUDIO,

1 Like

Easy for you may be :slight_smile: Btw, volumio did not created hotspot to connect and configure it at first boot. Honestly, i did not played long enough to see where is the problem, so may be i do something wrong. But even after installation trough wired LAN i can’t get wireless LAN and hotspot function on.

This image was compiled using the kernel from Armbian, so it is necessary to use the instructions from Armbian. :slight_smile:
For Wifi you need to load the module dhd or wifi_dummy (and prescribe in startup).

2 Likes

I can’t find which file replace or what scrept is writing in /etc/mpd.conf on boot. I need this to test outputs in MPD and not in Roon or Squeezelite. Help please :tired_face:

I am no expert on Volumio, but when I tried it, if you change the file /etc/mpd.conf and NOT open the settings in Volumio, used by the system during operation.

Hi,

Quick introduction: I’m one of the Volumio OS developers and built the Volumio images for the Odroids and will be supporting the port to VIM.

We have a plugin which installs Volumio on an x86 version’s hard drive.
I’m sure it can be modified to support a copy to eMMC.

— Gé —

4 Likes

Hi gkkpch.

I just yesterday and today testing the installer, u-boot in SPI + a script to install Linux in the eMMC on the normal HDD. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s look like that HDMI sound not work with MPD in VIM in general. I tried with other distros and MPD and there is no problem with USB but integrated AMLM8SOUND (hw:0,0/1) not working. I have read a lot of pages related to similar problems and nothing helped at the moment, I gave up! Anyway, its work with USB sound cards and DACs and i hope will work with Khadas HAT as well. eMMC build is needed :slight_smile: @balbes150 plz

Firmware version Volumio to install to the internal eMMC. Pay attention, this version is ONLY for the VIM2 (S912). Universal version for installation in all models will be later.

5 Likes

@balbes150, Happy New Year!
Is it possible for you to make an eMMC build of Volumio for VIM? VIM2 is to much power and too expansive to be used for Volumio only. I am afraid that if guys from volumio make an official image this image will not be compatible with other Linux audio bridges. For example, Volumio on RPI is not compatible with official Roon Bridge for v8 or 7hf… Not having proper HDMI output is not a huge drama for Volumio lovers, be cause usually they don’t use HDMI output :slight_smile: