Volume control for preamp out

Hi forks,
We will release the new firmware V1.3 in early August.

Good day!

6 Likes

Thanks. Can’t wait to share my test results once it’s out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great, will be ready to test it

1 Like

Hows it going? Seems like its gonna be a big update

1 Like

Hi @Gouwa

any news on the new 1.3 firmware ?

Howdy Folks!

Sorry for the delay due to more time for testing, please forward to:

Have fun!

Thanks, will test it today!

Yes,
The GAIN CPNTROL is working properly and it’s a nice new feature.
THNX

Did you replug the power?

And please show the screenshot below to me:

1 Like

Everything’s OK on my side :

• unzip the firmware
  • open DFU Tool and select the firmware
  • update
  • windows drivers are reinstalling and need a computer reboot
  • reboot and everything’s OK
2 Likes

I’ll give this a try this evening and post before/after test results. If they look good, I may have to buy another one. :wink:

Edit: In stalled v1.3. No issues. Working great. I won’t get around to remeasuring tonight, but I am doing a bit of listening, and it sounds terrific. I don’t expect the measurements to show anything different. The preamp volume control works as expected. No noise. No drama.

1 Like

I just updated to 1.3 using a Mac and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately this release didn’t add the feature I’m really interested in- hardware volume control for the preamp out via USB. When updated, and with the preamp volume control activated, Volumio only provides two options for the Tone 2 Pro- “software” or “none”. “None” mode does exactly what you expect- no software volume control from Volumio. “Software” mode allows volume control, but it is in Volumio, which means that the Tone 2 Pro can’t act as the MQA renderer. What I was really hoping for was to see “hardware” as a volume control option like other DACS where Volumio can control the hardware volume in the DAC so it can still send the full volume stream to the Tone 2 Pro, let the Tone 2 Pro render the MQA stream, and control the new pre-amp volume via USB. Many other DACs provide this feature. @Gouwa Is there any chance of getting this feature in a future firmware release?

2 Likes

I don’t think there was any promise of software control of the volume in this release. This firmware optionally enables the big knob on the Tone2 Pro to adjust output levels from the rear balanced RCA connections. Here’s what I see in alsamixer:

This seems to confirm what you’re seeing in Volumio. If you’re sitting too far away from the Tone2 Pro to use the big knob to adjust levels, your best bet is to connect it to an amplifier that offers remote control of volume.

I do think hardware volume control (like what the HiFiBerry folks offer) would be a nice feature to have for convenience, but I worry that it might compromise sound quality a bit when in use.

1 Like

@SwarmJon @dsnyder0cnn thanks for feedback!

Will talk with our team and we might need to release a dedicated firmware and enable the XMOS software volume.

Good day!

1 Like

Please consider making as many settings as possible controllable via software - the finicky controls
are holding back an otherwise great device.

1 Like

Listening to Mozart Piano Concerto F major (ARS produktion) (dsd64, DOP) through my tone 2 pro (balanced out) right now ,i see nothing ‘holding back’ this device ,actually it’s the best thing that ever happened to my system in 40 years !

1 Like

@Gouwa have you looked into this request any further? I’d love to know if it is a feature you’re planning to add in a future release. Thanks!

@Gouwa Any update on XMOS software volume?

1 Like

+1 i would really appreciate software volume accesible from OS

seems the device is abandoned, what a shame

Any hope of enabling USB control of hardware volume? This would still be an amazing feature to have! Just let Volumio control the same thing that the preamp volume knob controls, and we’re golden!