VIM3L with Tone Board capability

Hi - I sent this to the sales support and was directed here.

If I have a VIM3L with a Tone Board attached to it, would it be possible to configure it to stream video and surround sound from say, HBO through the HDMI out and to stream TIDAL, and my recorded music files through the Tone Board out?

Would this be best done via Android OS or Linux? (I’m leaning towards Android because I don’t want the fan noise while listening to good music, yes it may be quiet, but I’ll still hear it)

My Surround sound system is good, but my music system is better for just listening. I’d like to be able to associate the appropriate output device to the right file type.

Thanks
David

Hello! it will be best on CoreElec :slightly_smiling_face:

but here, of course, output via HDMI/optics for multi-channel sound

Not exactly sure how one would go about that.

A dirty workaround would be to enable Developer Options* in settings. In Developer Options there is a setting, “Disable USB audio routing”, it is off by default. Setting that option will ignore the TB, but will require a restart. Of course, to go back to the TB after unsetting the option, would also require a restart. As I said, a dirty workaround, emphasis on dirty. :grin:

Audio settings in CoreELEC or similar may have more flexibility in choosing the audio device, but that is speculation, as I don’t have much experience with those OSes.
It may also be possible to switch off power to the TB, but that would require some physical mods and still would not be automatic.
You could unmount the TB from the 3L and use the TB as a standalone USB DAC using a USB cable from the VIM3L to the TB, plug and unplug as needed, again, not automatic.

As far as doing it automatically based on which file or source is used, I have no suggestions.

*To enable Developer Options. Go to Settings/More settings/Device Preferences/About, scroll to Build and click on it 7 times. That will enable Developer Options. Go back to Settings/More settings/Device Preferences and you will now see Developer options, look in there for the Disable USB audio routing.
Caution… Avoid making changes in developer options, if you are not familiar with a particular setting or what it does, it is best to leave it be.

Good luck.

Thank you - that gives me a direction to start looking. I’ve not worked with CoreElec (new to SMC’s) but am/was an old school sysadmin in the unix world, so not too worried - and this is a ‘fun’ project :slight_smile:

Sounds like at the least I’ll be able to set it up one way or the other, but whether I can do on the fly Audio Out changes remains to be seen, which is fine. Worst case is I’ll end up with a great DAC that also functions as a music player, so that alone is a win!

For lightweight application such as streaming or playing audio files, does CoreElec want a fan installed ? or is passive cooling enough? - I’d prefer passive for the Audio streaming because while some fans are quiet, none are silent, but if it needs a fan I’ll consider including one.

in fact , the processor on CoreElec can only load torrents online of original quality in 4K at 100gb., otherwise everything is quiet :wink:

…I’m assuming that means ‘No Fan Required’?

I’ve been looking at the CoreElec forums, and this is really starting to look like a fun project!
Still need to map out my approximate storage requirements, but one way or the other I should get some good use here.

Cheers!

make 2 in 1, Android (eMMC) / coreelec (usb3.0), and you will have two projects🙂

your requirements do not seem to imply extreme mode, you can first see how with a radiator

1 Like

It is helpful to use the Audio Capture Mac from AudFree to record the music from Tidal or other music files. The recorded files will be kept losslessly and you can play them offline on your own players anytimw you like.