VIM3L - Opening Up New Possibilities for DIY-HTPC Enthusiasts

Since this board doesn’t look like it will have the support for POE, I think the board should be longer to support the nvme storage device by default. other thought would be to add recalbox or retro pie support to the mix, more so recalbox as it has kodi though

1 Like

I see there is usb on the pin headers, I assume it’s 2x usb2?
Also thanks for I2S on the header pins.
I don’t see anything about usb3, so only usb2?

Hi, i see there is an Android TV image on the TV shown. Would this board have a port of Android TV or would it be supported officially ?

That is most people really needed! A whole pack of the machine.

1 Like

Is there any possibility of enabling Dolby vision on VIM3 and VIM3L?

1 Like

We don’t have a plan to support Dolby vision on VIM3, but still possible for VIM3L.

@tsangyoujun will build a poll here to ensure the higher retail price of this feature comes accessible for our backers.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Yes, it’s USB 2.0 on the 40P GPIO header.

So, as for HW layer VIM3 can not make it or just about the licensing fee.

Yes, because the license, and actually, the SoC with different license will be different SKU, for example:

• S905D3-K0N/J0N/B0N/D0N/H0N
  • K0N: DTS + Dolby Vision
  • N0N: 1.2T NPU, no Dolby, no DTS

Good day!

1 Like

** K0N: DTS + Dolby Vision*
I think this^ is the SoC that makes sense on a HTPC enthusiast oriented board. I would definitely pay a few extra $ for Dolby Vision support.

5 Likes

when this board will be available in shop??

Cool, a good replacement for my VIM1 who burned a few weeks ago :stuck_out_tongue:
I hope it’ll have a good support

1 Like

For the “HTPC Kit”, we’re considering of including the following items:

• VIM3L
  • Transparent DIY Case
  • Metal Plate (for DIY Case)
  • New VIM Heatsink
  • IR Remote

Probably most people have their own USB-C / USB-Adapters already, so it wouldn’t be too necessary to add those in, don’t ya think?

I agree. I also think that the metal plate is unnecessary too.

1 Like

I thought the same until I used it to compile Kernel. It got hot on the back side.
Then I saw the DIY Case video that showed the use of metal plate is to be used with the heat passing pad to pass it on to the metal plate.

So now I plan to order that heatpad LINK

1 Like

I’d like to see some thermal tests of VIM3L. S905D3 is supposedly use less power than A311D, so hopefully a heatsink would be enough.

1 Like

I don’t think that USB-C is used as widely as some may think.

However, a cable and adapter is easily sourced locally.

The only potential problem could be, from what I’ve read about some of the horrors of USB-C that third party products can be dangerous.

I would consider leaving the remote out and substituting it or again, leave users to source something more useful locally as I think that so many remotes get left in the box because they are plainly not that useful and this is also a typical comment from many reviewers of boxes/sbc’s.

My biggest concern is with regards to staying in neolithic times with having the USB 2.0 port. This kind of thing should have 2 x USB 3.0 as standard. 2.0 should be left in the dark ages unless there is a need for an OTG for flashing etc, in which case it can be micro USB.

The Beelink GT King has 2 3.0 and 1 2.0 ports, which, whilst not as good as the N2, is still better than the VIM3 and this. It’s just counter productive to have all this new technology, slowed up by outdated tech.

I also think that the GPIO pins are unnecessary and by getting rid of them, you could have a smaller board that could go into a smaller housing and save cost.

The M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Supported slot is one of the most exciting aspects of the board as it means that you can add large storage, which could open up the possibilities for multi boot OS’s and lots of storage all from one source, although judging by the design, I’d question how easy it will be to attach one that will fit in the case.

The 16Mb SPI will also potentially be useful for using Petitboot for multi OS usage. I would plan Android/Linux/Coreelec.

Pricing is going to be critical and if, like Hardkernel, your shipping is only via fast courier such as DHL, then a lot of people are going to be put off by customs duties and courier handling charges on top.

There is also the increasing competition with the new S905X3 boxes that are starting to roll out and as I predict, the lowering of S922X products because many consider them just a bit too expensive when for not that much more they can get the infinitely more powerful Nvidia Shield, which has an updated model imminent, which also means that there is going to be a mass clearout of existing models, which will, for a period, have lower pricing, which in turn will also lower the second hand value, which is extraordinarily good at the moment.

It will be interesting to see some performance matchups and I would recommend going the whole gamut and compare to A311D, S922X (rev B), S905X2 and S905X3. Might even be worth adding the old King, the S912, so that people can really get a feel of what upgrading to the S905D3 will look like at least in synthetic test environment.

Personally I’d consider going back to the drawing board and come up with something that is essentially a ready made box, just for HTPC, rather than using the same reference design for your SBC’s.

You might be able to save on one aspect in order to provide another that has more practical use.

4 Likes

I’ve been using my VIM3L in passive cooling mode, just the New VIM Heatsink + Thick Heat Pad + Metal Plate + DIY Case, so there’s cooling from both-sides of the PCB.

I found that if I place the VIM3L on a wooden table, it gets warm, maybe 50-60C (didn’t test, just used my hand)…but if I place it on the Mac Mini’s aluminum shell, temps drop to 40-45C (just slightly warm).

So what I feel is that the metal plate is only effective if you have a large metal surface to plonk your SBC onto. :smile:

That said, overall VIM3L does run cooler than VIM3. However I was only running the stock Android 9, playing with the Plex Client, ProtonVPN, watching some YouTube, Minecraft, Chrome browsing, Kodi…I didn’t have to install Linux, since just using it as a HTPC Android is good enough!

Good feedback, thank you @Ozarks!

At the same time we’re aiming to release something like a DIY-HTPC, which is in-between the “Super Simple TV Box” and the “Super Expensive / High Performance SBC”.

So firstly, it can be used as a TV Box, and secondly, it can also be used for development.

1 Like