VIM3L boot from SD

Please help me from going insane! I am trying to get my VIM3L to boot Coreelec from the SD card. I have read every post, tutorial, and guide as far back as 2018 and I cant get the VIM3L to boot from the SD card.
I can install coreelec (Matrix) from Krescue fine, but I want to use my MCE remote, not the one from Khadas. I would like to get the official ver from Coreelec (generic im assuming with the dtb for the vim3l renamed in the root) on and running from the SD card. Ive installed just about every os on Krescue and tried to boot from the sd card with CE on it. I cannot get the vim3l to boot from anything but krescue on the sd card. I did a full wipe of the emmc, used the usb burning tool to install android v200320, with the generic (any version) of CE on the sd card (setuo with the dtb renamed) I try to use the buttons (long press pwr, short press func, 1,2,3,… release power button… I get the Khadas image on the screen, and it hangs there forever…
Can the official CE be installed and run from the SD card ??? If so could someone give me a 2022 ver of how its done…
I though it would be easier to get the official ver running on the SD card to see if I can use my MCE (RC6) remote, then figure out how to get it on the Emmc, I was wrong!
I did install Matrix from Krescue but I think there is something going on in the Khadas version that forces the Khadas remote therefore preventing the RC6 protocol to work for the MCE remote…