VIM3 running totally unstable / keeps freezing / crashing

Did you change the power supply cable too?

yeah, it’s already the 3rd different usb c cable I’m using right now :wink:

with other firmwares the same board behavior?

I need to test it. I will test all the governors first and if it doesn’t work I will try the 4.9 kernel version first as @numbqq suggested.

So lot of testing to do, I’ll keep you updated…

1 Like

yes, since we kind of checked the hardware, everything is fine, keep us informed!
good luck!

Hi again,

a quick update on using different govenors:

• ondemand / crash after nearly 24h
  • conservative / crash after ~30h
  • interactive / no longer available in kernel 5.x? couldn’t test…
  • performance / running since 4 days now

so to conclude: seems to be running fine and stable without any frequency scaling. will keep running it for a few more days to be really sure about.

so what to do now? I might test the kernel 4.9.224 (from default ubuntu firmware) with ondemand governor as well so we can see if it’s a bug in 5.x kernel tree.

More ideas are welcome!

Best regards

5 Likes

Hi, I’m interested in this too and stability issues with dynamic frequency scaling are worrying. I’m running a clean build of Ubuntu Server with mainline Linux off a USB HDD with conservative at the moment. I’ll report back in a few days, really interested whether I can replicate your issues/crashes @mcbain.

@prozor thanks for testing. Really interesting if you see the same issues as me. Please report back about your findings.

@mcbain I’m now over 54 hours on conservative. I’ll need to have some reboots in the next few days while setting everything up, but I’ll keep conservative and report any crashes, should they occur.

root@Khadas:~# uptime
 00:34:02 up 2 days,  6:20,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
root@Khadas:~# cpufreq-info | grep "current policy" -A2
  current policy: frequency should be within 500 MHz and 1.80 GHz.
                  The governor "conservative" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
--
  current policy: frequency should be within 500 MHz and 1.80 GHz.
                  within this range.
--
  current policy: frequency should be within 500 MHz and 2.21 GHz.
                  within this range.
--
                  within this range.
--
                  within this range.
--
                  within this range.

for now it even looks better then my try. interesting to see if it keeps stable.

which kernel version are you using right now?

The “mainline” Fenix build, over 61 hours now

# uname -a
Linux Khadas 5.9.0-rc2 #0.9.5 SMP Mon Sep 28 10:21:21 UTC 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Had to reboot, total uptime ended up at 4 days, 15 hours. No crashes.

@prozor do you mind to share your kernel config file? I have a second vim3 lying around to further test the behaviour of the crashing. would be nice to compare my config to yours.

Thanks!

I had to switch to the 4.9 kernel image (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), but I didn’t do any modifications to the kernel configuration at all (I changed the governor by modifying /etc/default/cpufrequtils). The image I used was one of the automatically built images from the Fenix repo, from around mid-October. I’m interested in what modifications you did to the kernel config. On the 4.9 kernel, my uptime is currently 40 days, 6 hours.

Hi,

what governor did you set?

My ubuntu server with 4.9.241 is quite unstable.

Best regards,
S.

Hi there,

thats the only setting making it stable for me:

# cat /etc/default/cpufrequtils
ENABLE="true"
GOVERNOR="performance"
MIN_SPEED=500000
MAX_SPEED=2208000

Best regards!

2 Likes

I switched to debian buster after all. Ubuntu is too unstable. Will see how debian behaves:-)

Best regards,

Thanks. I’ve just found this thread. I have been having similar issues, but didn’t get any response to my report: Ubuntu 20.04.02 / Linux 5.12 ethernet driver crash

I’ll try those cpufreq settings and see what happens.

I ended with my own build of Debian buster (done with fenix script in docker container) 4.9 kernel.
Uptime is 51 days and looks fine for now.

Best regards,
S.

1 Like

Now at a week uptime, which is looking promising as I hadn’t seen that before.

The GOVERNOR="performance" line seems to be being ignored, but the MIN_SPEED & MAX_SPEED appear to be honoured:

user@kadath:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
ondemand
ondemand
ondemand
ondemand
ondemand
ondemand

I had previously set more aggressive values for MIN_SPEED and MAX_SPEED based on Maximum CPU Frequency | Khadas Documentation (yes, there are warnings on that page about stability).

Looking at linux/meson-g12b-a311d.dtsi at master · torvalds/linux · GitHub I speculate that it might be the overclocking that was causing the instability in the ethernet driver by using unsupported frequencies.