VIM3 Pro HDMI 2.1

Does the VIM3 Pro really have HDMI 2.1 as the specifications say? I’ve been told over at the CoreELEC forum that it isn’t actually HDMI 2.1. I specifically chose the VIM3 Pro because I thought perhaps HDR10+ needed true HDMI 2.1 to pass the dynamic HDR SEI messages.

Can someone confirm or provide more information please?

Hey! All specifications are from Khadas, this is real data! I would like to ask, does your TV support HDR 10+? what TV model do you have?

Thank you. My current TV does not support HDR10+ but I plan to purchase a Samsung QN90A which does.

However, do you know if HDR10+ works over “regular” HDMI 2.0a? CoreELEC claims to provide HDR10+ passthrough on devices like the ODROID-N2 that only has HDMI 2.0a. That’s why I’m confused.

The HDMI 2.1 port can be thought of as a collection of old plus new AV features. HDMI version 2.1 provides 48 Gbps bandwidth instead of the usual 18 Gbps (HDMI 2.0). The increased bandwidth allows 4K / 120p or 8K / 60p video signals to pass through. Options such as dynamic HDR, eARC, VRR (variable refresh rate) and ALLM (automatic low latency mode) have also been added.

However, it should be noted that dynamic HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10 +), eARC, VRR, or ALLM have already been seen on HDMI 2.0 TVs. Sony TVs support eARC, while 2018 Samsung QLED TVs support VRR and ALLM. Most importantly, Dolby Vision HDR Dynamic Mode is nothing new since LG’s 2016 OLED TVs. Thus, we notice that there is no drastic change between the HDMI version number.

Thank you. That is very reassuring to hear.

You can fully trust Khadas
:wink::+1:

1 Like