VIM3 network no longer active

Sorry about the close up of my dirty hands. It was hard to get light in there. I only use high end CAT6 cables and have swapped through new ones in their package from my datacenter. I don’t see any visible damage to the connectors.

Try to get a photo that shows the LAN port’s solder joints and the corresponding IC(Pulse), as shown in this picture…

@redairforce sorry to for asking, if you have already said this, are you sure,
ifup eth0
doesn’t do anything ?

Quick update. I finally got it to work. I was able to flash eMMC and it worked, then I flashed SSD and it worked. The only trouble came when I hooked up my USB hard drive. All of the sudden the network was knocked offline again and would no longer connect. I removed the USB drive and the network still won’t connect. Worst of all, now the USB ports don’t work at all. I flashed eMMC again and it won’t connect either network or USB. With no way of entering input, looks like I’ve got a paperweight.

@redairforce try reflashing the eMMC again,
P.S did you use something like VIM3-Ubuntu-4.9-EMMC-200530.img ?

Okay, I’ve got it up and running using the latest Manjaro SSD image with the latest EMMC Ubuntu image on the EMMC. It would appear that you need a stable EMMC Unbuntu and cannot touch it. In another thread, someone said that once I got booted on an EMMC that I could reformat /dev/mmcblk2 as empty ext4 and mount it.

This may not be recommended. I couldn’t get it running properly until I did a full wipe of EMMC and flash of a stable Ubuntu 4.9. Once running, I got up on an SSD and then formatted and mounted the EMMC and bam - lost network again. So I did it all over again. This time I will just leave the EMMC alone.

@redairforce what version of firmware are you flashing ?

VIM3_Ubuntu-server-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530

just as suspected…
@redairforce that image has that problem, its known and verified, hence I asked before.

I’ll whip up a new image for you to try. that should fix all your problems :slight_smile:

1 Like

@redairforce, @friendmy,
here is latest image built, you can get it from here.
Its is

VIM3_Ubuntu-server-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9.8-201203.img.xz

Firstly, this is not your image, but publicly available for everyone!(renamed Krescue backup).
And secondly, the person clearly writes that his LAN does not work on any firmware, therefore, the problem is not software, but hardware!

I initially thought h/w too, but their post seems to work against that. Though it does not entirely rule it out.

VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530 operates normally.
So, I don’t think it’s a H/W issue, it’s the latest source issue.

Hello! the person writes that the problem with this image :man_shrugging:t3:

You confirm that everything works well for you, then the problem is definitely hardware.

https://forum.khadas.com/t/ubuntu-latest-source-networkmanager-issue/10389

I understand you, the user of Redairforce, as he says, does not work with any OS

you are confusing yourself, you better recheck the aforementioned, before coming with your own assumption.

I’ve tested this, and verified, that the same scenario happens on my side where the network drops out, however it wasn’t seen in updated versions. hardware can’t fail so easily like this, it could be a variety of other technical snags, eg. power shutdown for the chip in software, etc.

I checked and this is what the user writes next …

I’d let @redairforce check the status of the network, after trying the new image.