VIM3 Micron NVME

try to format in fat32, I understand you, but we must exclude all options :slightly_smiling_face:

if nothing helps at all, then it is very similar to incompatibility :confused:

do you for example have other similar disks to test for vim3?

Iā€™ve just tested with another drive, the board and M2X card are working.
Test:
SAMSUNG MZFLW1T0HMLH (PM961)- OK
SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ (PM981)- OK
MICRON MTFDHBA512TCK (2200S)- NOT OK

So it looks like some compatibility issue with the Micron drive. How can we investigate this further? I need this drive running.

1 Like

yes, now itā€™s clear, but I wanted to do all the steps with you so that itā€™s clear.

You need to mark in the message someone from the Khadas team, for more accurate information, also read the necessary documents for the boards from Khadas

Who for example? Is ok @numbqq or @tsangyoujun ?

What exactly? I didnā€™t find anything related to this?

yes, if necessary, they will give it to whoever needs it!

I hope they will provide you with the necessary information

@ztardik I think you have not read my previous postā€¦

The Samsung SSDs you used have compatible memory controllers, that has also been tested Khadas and many users (Samsung 960 EVO [regular and OEM version])
that is why they worked out of the boxā€¦

but suppose it is compatibleā€¦ did you try mounting it with fstab ?
because it seems you have not tried that in the steps you haves postedā€¦ you can also try using FAT32, or exFAT file systemsā€¦

The disk doesnā€™t show up with fdisk -l, or in dmesg, ls /dev/nvme* lists only /dev/nvme-fabrics
You cannot mount something that donā€™t even announce itself.
The only trace of it existing is lspci:
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Micron Technology Inc Device 5410 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])

If I am not wrong, fdisk is only for partitioningā€¦
you need to mount then you can do the partitioningā€¦

Iā€™m afraid you are wrong here:

mount - mount a filesystem
   fdisk - manipulate disk partition table

I am fully comfortable with partitioning and mounting disks/filesystems on linux. I can assure you that the disk is not there to create partition on which you can later create a filesystem.
The problem is that the Micron 2200S disk is not recognized as it should be.

I hope someone from Khadas team will see this and comment.

1 Like

Hello, I hope you find a solution. That being said, and as previously stated, it is my understanding that some NVMe drives are not compatible with some hardware. This is true even on Intel/AMD hardware. It has been demonstrated by other users here, as well. There is an official list of ā€œknown to workā€ drives in the Khadas Docs, but the list is a WIP and has not been updated last I checked.

Oh, Iā€™ve just found the list of supported drives:

List of compatible NVMe SSDs:

Samsung EVO 960 256Gb

And thatā€™s all.
Maybe @Frank, @numbqq or @tsangyoujun can help us with bringing new devices to the list?
In this thread alone we have two additional working and one not working models.

Both the ones you used are the same types of Samung 960 EVO SSDs
just in a OEM package, with no labels or advertising stickersā€¦

no, thatā€™s not all, itā€™s just that the list is not growing :man_shrugging:t3:

yes, we had some users using something called a Patriot scorch SSD, and some other SSD by silicon power, also Western Digital but the exact model is not knownā€¦

maybe you could gather the necessary information ?!:wink:

I donā€™t know about the exact model number or anything only the generic nameā€¦
I clearly stated that buddyā€¦

on the forum somewhere, but oh well

Yes, I have used the Patriot Scorch, on both the Edge+Captain, the VIM3 and the VIM3+M2X. I think I listed the part number before. So far only two users, including myself, have verified its compatibility. Not sure if that is enough vouchers to qualify for the list. :slightly_smiling_face:

Part# is PS128GPM280SSDR, It is a 3x2 so it wonā€™t be fast. Of course, the VIM3 has single PCIe lane, so probably not a bottleneck in that case. I make no recommendation, for or against, the drive, other than it is compatible. I picked one up for under $20(USD) and was not concerned with maximum speed, just wanted extra storage, and for that it works fine.
A user with Intel drive working.

1 Like

Yep, the max R/W speed of VIM3 is ~500MB/s.

@numbqq @Frank I think we need to buy more models to test the compatibility.

2 Likes

@Gouwa @numbqq @Frank
I can give you ssh acces to my board if you want to run some tests.