VIM3 Armbian image?

sound configuration totally broken :wink: spdif not work, i2s same not works
kernel sometimes have segfaults after manipulation with hdmi sound mixer, pulseaudio cannot work (only dummy sound card) without special changes !
but armbian works fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do not mislead people! all manjaro-krescue presented images always was marked by test tag it means this one only for demo test !

1 Like

Well, that’s not so obvious…

I’ll try to get a boot log, but if you don’t support the VIM3L, I don’t see why you don’t let @hyphop support it. I don’t know all the politics behind this, but krescue is documented in the " VIM3 Beginners Guide", so I can’t believe it’s too bad. Even if it’s broken at times, condensing down a bunch of steps that are documented across multiple forum posts into a “click and install” seems like a win from a support perspective.

From an engineers perspective I appreciate trying to build a generic framework that works on multiple architectures, but the existing Armbian model of “find image for your SBC and burn it” works very well.

1 Like

Plz don’t trust some forum users :wink:

U can try and test how works krescue by you self
And install many different os
Its really easy and fast

Armbian not shared at this time because armbian have some trouble’s

I have prepare armbian for vim3l and other VIMS boards and still in test but already usable

1 Like

So far, Armbian has been the most stable for me. I’ve been running it for a while off sdcard, and it has worked very well.

The fenix-based distros seem to have issues with standard wifi drivers, at least the ones that I need, but that’s not the case with Armbian.

I come here asking some people for a little more respect with the developers. (people who take the time to help).

I have known the work of the balbes150 for many years, he has always dedicated his time to helping and providing the best for the users of his images (he has done an excellent job where many take advantage).

No matter what country we live in, today we really need each other because we are not only losing “numbers” to the Covid-19 virus, but losing our friends. Why insult?

I ask some developers and others here to stay in their spaces. (here in this house balbes are always judged and never praised).

@balbes150 makes a decision about this behavior and leaves the forum, I do not understand why the moderators allow insults without warning / prohibition. @Gouwa

Some people here didn’t buy Khadas vim3 waiting for @balbes150 and @chewitt in short, libreelec team finishes its work, so here is the tip for those who think they are important!
If anyone here didn’t like what was said by me do a better job than balbes150.

2 Likes

please freeze and close this discussion, and let’s focus on something more positive, another distro on another board for example…
peace.

2 Likes

I have found balbes150 to be universally arrogant and unhelpful.
And why wait for two years for a developer to get his shit together when there are perfectly adequate and functional alternatives which work since day one ?

Shoog

1 Like
  1. Audio via HDMI works for many months, but you need to follow the instructions correctly to use it. For older versions of images, you had to delete pulseaudio before using it (this information was given many times). In the new versions, you do not need to delete anything , everything works perfectly and you can choose different configurations in the settings, including multi-channel sound.
  2. I don’t have SPDIF and I don’t check it. If it doesn’t work - this is a claim primarily to you. You, as an official developer who receives a salary from Khadas, do not do your job, have not provided the necessary changes in the main core to support Khadas products.

I don’t care what doesn’t work in your images. I answered the user why I am against the release of such “semi-finished products” for my development, which increase the number of unknown problems.

You don’t understand the point, there is no support for VIM3L from hyphop. It only offers to build a dubious version of the image from the Armbian image exclusively for installation through its application. At the same time, this option immediately gets a number of problems that have absolutely nothing to do with my development. And users will start asking me to solve these problems, which I have nothing to do with.

You’re wrong there, too. External simplicity hides a number of serious problems, including security. I’m not going to discuss this publicly, so as not to give all sorts of freaks and hackers tips on how to use it.

I have already warned that no Armbian versions from my versions or sources can be released as images for kreskue. If there are any, I will consider it a gross violation of the author’s prohibition.

looking forward to Armbian-K-Rescue!

P.S. I do not allow unreasonably deleting my posts!

I’m sorry if I offended anyone, and I really don’t want to get involved in any of the, obviously complex politics. I just want to try to get Armbian running properly on the VIM3L.

It looks to me like the problem with getting Armbian installed on the EMMC is getting the proper u-boot installed. The script copies off the existing u-boot, creates the partitions and them copies it back, which, of course, requires that the u-boot on the EMMC already be the “proper” u-boot.

This leads to having to first have a properly installed (and configured?) Android installation on the EMMC, which boots from EMMC, which then requires some other procedure to make it boot off of sdcard again so that we can run the script that then reads the 4MB u-boot off the EMMC. Do I have that right?

Assuming that this u-boot is standard for e.g. all VIM3Ls, that seems like a very long and complicated process to get a single 4MB file.

I understand that the attempt is to make the Arbmian image somewhat generic, although it must at least have a dtb for each architecture. Wouldn’t it also require many different kernels? Would adding a few u-boot files be too much?

Is there somewhere that one could download just the u-boot image rather than copying it from the EMMC?

Yes all the dtb for amlogic devices are present in the boot partition in dtb/amlogic/ directory.
You might just have to change the dtb name accordingly to your device dtb inside UEnv file which is in the root of the Boot partition.

The kernel maintained by balbes have support for most of the devices he maintains which includes amlogic and rockchip devices.

Hope this helps.

I recommend that you read this message carefully. From the factory, all VIM comes with a working Android firmware, so the system starts and installs in eMMC for Armbian and Libreelec uses a regular u-boot, which guarantees the correct operation of all parts of the system, including subsequent automatic core updates and the absence of Trojans and other dishonest things to steal your personal data. If you want to risk your personal data - this is your personal business, you can use any questionable systems that destroy the security system. Personally, I do not want users of my systems to be exposed to this risk and then make claims to me that something is not working correctly or their personal (important) data has been stolen.

1 Like

there could be trojans as well inside the android installation and inside the EMMC, how would you know ?

Maybe that is due to the amount of insults and disrespect he shows to users and developers alike, there is no need for it, it does not cost anything to show a little humility and respect, his continued torts earn him very few fans.

@balbes150 whether you like what @hyphop has done or not is irrelevant, he is trying to help users and make things easier for users, so why not help him and send him a PR if something is wrong in Krescue or send him a private message instead of being a prat and stomping ones feet like a 3 year old in public, it would take what all of a few minutes? and save all this negativity.

It’s hypocritical to talk of dubious versions because lets remind ourselves that your builds are not official Armbian builds and do not have a git history that can be followed easily due to the way that you inappropriately use git that leaves even people who understand it somewhat perplexed.

Your images are not perfect either and your continued changes to your so-called “universal” boot autoscripts cause continued problems for users of other projects but you do not see other developers resorting to such underhand critical comments about what you have done now do you.

Lastly you can not release GPL licensed content and then claim ownership of it, any person is free to do as they wish with it whether you like it or not, forks happen, grow up and get over it.

6 Likes

First, I don’t generally store any personal information on SBCs. They’re generally used for a single purpose and don’t have personal accounts, etc on them. I even have a separate google account that is just used when I have to install from the play store, etc if it’s an Android device.

Second, do you guarantee that all of Armbian is secure, or the u-boot/Android installed on the device when I got it? Also, why would the u-boot that you provide be any different/less secure than the one that I had on my device at one time and can apparently install using some program that I’m not familiar with using firmware that I downloaded from some web site that I’m not familiar with.

Your Armbian images are downloaded from some random file sharing site that I’ve never heard of, and don’t include an md5sum. How do I know those are secure.

I was just asking some questions with the intention of trying to maybe make the process a bit less painful for others. I certainly don’t need a baseless lecture on computer security.

Thank you for your efforts porting Armbian. I don’t know of any better distribution for a wide range of SBCs, and so far it does run quite well from sdcard. I’m sure I will get it running the way I want to, or move on to a different board, but this discussion is proving not to be productive. Good luck!

Is there any armbian image for vim3 now? This old link does not seem to have it.

Thanks

Seems like a dead topic, maybe better to use latest Debian instead of armbian?

Yasir, I think I’ve shown on my VIM3 Twister OS forum topic, that it’s not very hard to get a working Armbian image with full hardware support running from the micro-SD or USB. The base for this is a working Rockchip64 image with a DTB swap, then after a fully-functional boot, apt install of replacement kernel packages. Almost, if not quite, trivial. :slight_smile:

Any concern about my beginning with a Twister OS image.xz should be allayed, knowing that this is straight Armbian+Focal, with a bunch of desktop-focused, post-install packaging and configuration.

This should be no different for a VIM3L, as far as I can tell.

Two tasks remain: Audio device support and eMMC flash.
1 - Audio device hardware is all present and accounted for in loaded kernel modules and ALSA detection. This means we probably have a tangled Pulseaudio problem. Don’t get me started! Anyways, I see light at the end of this tunnel!
2 - I will ignore Hyphop and Balbes flamewars. If I can get an image.xz written to SD, then use regular tools to transfer this to eMMC, I will do it, and I will also generate a “community release” of the Twister OS image for others. Given a little time, I’d duplicate the packaging effort for a clean, vanilla Armbian “community release”.

In fact, I’d do this today, but won’t start until audio works over HDMI. If people are going to be nasty about versions of boot loaders, then at least I will make sure a release needs no other apologies.

1 Like

Yasir,
I solved the audio problem on Armbian images. This was a scavenger-hunt for all the right info, and the simple configuration is outlined in my Twister OS topic.

So, you can get a generic Armbian image, say for RK3399 to boot on VIM3, with the right dtb, included. Once running, you can update to a linux-image-current-meson64 kernel, and be running native on a reboot.
If you follow my instructions for adding the Khadas repository, you get the VIM3 board support deb installed, too. With these you’ll get cooling fan operations and the LEDs, etc.

Update 2 in my topic, as I mentioned, gets you HDMI audio support with ALSA and Pulseaudio, if you want it.

So, the Armbian ‘universal operating system’ lives up to its name, without a designated image for VIM3.

Fenix Buster has a lot of complaints - I don’t know their real merits - so your wish for an Armbian is probably the better choice, now that it can be accomplished. Good luck!

3 Likes