VIM2 with graphical artifacts

I admit it if the cable is of poor quality

Thanks for the replies.

The cable is good quality. As I said, it worked well for about a year, and suddenly these artifacts appear. I already tried other HDMI cables.

I think itā€™s a lost case. Not worth to waste more time with it.
I really enjoy using a Khadas board, and all the possibilities it gives us, but Iā€™m not willing to risk spending more money with a newer Khadas board. Time to switch to other brand.

Thank you all.

Iā€™m sorry to hear that, maybe the service will help you, in any case, good luck, buddy!
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

One last question, was the board used with a proper heatsink and covered with a case, or was the board left exposed ?

1 Like

in this case, you can see the board for defects,in case there is damage on the microcircuit

@fearbrain please try to do a small visual inspection of your board with reference to the images provided by the khadas websiteā€¦

I certainly donā€™t want to say anything, but there maybe it will be worse even, try to deal with Khadas
:point_up::slightly_smiling_face:

@Electr1, yes, the board was used with the original heatsink, without fan, since the first days of use. I adapted the original layered case to fit with the heatsink, and since then was protected and left untouched in a cabinet, not exposed to dust.

I already performed a visual inspection, nothing relevant found. However, in the components related with HDMI interface, looking for overheat or so, Iā€™ve found just 3 diodes (D38, D39 and D40) incorrectly aligned, and maybe the solder got weakened, I donā€™t know.

Here is the photo: https://i.imgur.com/5gLgFLR.jpg
And the related scheme: https://i.imgur.com/5KB9hRO.jpg

Itā€™s a very tiny component to try to resolder it for myself :slight_smile:

@Vladimir.v.v, eheh, you might be right

Those diodes should not pose such problem, but however I do see The Board is an older revision, so Time could have played its part here, Also I see overheating as another reason, Since you used only the heatsink no air circulation could have lead to perhaps the Transistor gates on the Graphic drivers being damaged or something :confused:

Electr1,
I assume that this is the problem, it seems these diodes serve as a fuse for the HDMI port when disconnecting a working HDMI. Please check in what condition do you have these diodes for comparison?

WHen i was into overcocking back in early 2000s there was a rule, if you got artifacts it was becasue of heat. If the machine locked up or froze it was not enough voltage. There was a fine line you could run because to much voltage cause heat so as you adjusted the speed up or down you had to fallow with voltage and or cooling.

These boards may or may not be the same? What are your temps? what supply are you using?

Do you have an compressed air? when its running and you get the artifacts tip the compressed air upside down and spray it on the heatsink it will chill the heatsink quickly and you can see if the artifacts go away. If they dont then you can rule out heat.

If you ask me the stock heatsink with no fan just doesnt have enough mass and large enough fins to cool passivly it needs air flow over what fins it has. Ide guess your gel pads are shot from the heat for so long they have dried out and they no longer transfer heat quick enough. The case doesnt let the heat out by itself the stock heatsink needs airflow

You may of already damaged the CPU/GPU from heat for so long

IMO these chips have a lifespan and heat shortens its lifespan, the cooler you keep it the harder you can run it for longer, so cooling it now may or may not save it ide bet its on its way out. Dont pitch it though dontate it or use it for another pourpose

regarding Overclock, I think that is not possible here
Heat may have been one of the things to consider,
but it seems he was using only a heatsink and I had pointed that outā€¦

The case is resolved now.
After some discussion with Khadas support, and since the board was still under warranty, the board was sent to China to be inspected by Khadas tech team.
I donā€™t really know what was the problem, but I just got it back and the problem was fixed now (no board replacement was needed).
They also offered me a gift for my board, very kind!

2 Likes