VIM2 1.4 how to clone it?

Sorry, I think I wasn’t clear but I am using the board as an android.

Thanks,
André

Yes but I firmly believe @RDFTKV is suggesting that using another software installed on an SD and installed in SD slot of your Vim 2, you are able to then backup android from the emmc with all your addons installed in a manner that in theroy can then be utilsed using same SD to clone/install backup onto another Vim 2 and its emmc.

For example @balbes150 images for LibreELEC running on SD have feature build into them to backup whatever is already installed/modified by user on emmc. (Not used it myself yet, but this is my understanding)

1 Like

OH!!! Amazing! I will follow your lead! will try.

Thanks!

Yes, you are right. And since the backup will be stored on the same SD card, as the OS, it could be moved from one device to another. But yes, not having tried it myself, is just a theory. :slight_smile:

I have about 10 VIM2 1.4 - Will try cloning one of them with your method.

A

Good luck. Would be interested to learn your results.
Please keep us posted.:+1:

Image below shows specific option for emmc build into @balbes150 LibreELEC builds under Settings -> LibreELEC option.

Apologies for dark black text (just readable) in image, taken from LibreELEC running on my VIM2 Pro via SD (I am running alpha build 20190522 and appears to be issue with text colour)

I am equally interested in results of “restore to emmc” if you attempt this, as have been wary to try this whilst Android installed on emmc on my only Vim2 is running how I want/like it. :wink:

1 Like

This functionality is used on many devices and works perfectly with any system. The main thing is to be able to run the system from external media. This can be done without activating the multi-boot. Simply rename the s905_autoscript file to aml_autoscript and use the update mode (via the Power and function Buttons on VIM or via the Android menu). Utility DDBR common to Armbian and Libreelec (LE it automatically parametere). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have done the DDBR before, but never tried to restore multiple VIMs that way. Of course I don’t have ten VIMs. :laughing:

Looks very convenient to run within LE. Nicely done.

1 Like

Hi
Am looking for a method to clone too
How did it go?

for me its very easy just

CREATE IMAGE

1. start rescue system - Krescue - Khadas Rescue system (still not complete sill in test mode )
  2. dd if=/dev/mmcblk? bs=1M | gzip -c > MYIMAGE.img.gz

CLONE IMAGE

1. start rescue system - https://forum.khadas.com/t/krescue-
  2. gzip -dc MYIMAGE.img.gz | dd bs=1M of=/dev/mmcblk?

PS: i can write many other ways to clone systems, like via usb_otg, network, etc

2 Likes

Please show how to clone via LAN

plz clarify !! what u need ? more details and i can explain more

I would like to bypass the SD card and save / restore directly to a Network shared directory.
I can save the file to a network shared directory but, don’t know how to restore it without copying it to the SD card and restoring locally.
I’m a windows user and not too good with the command-line commands, especially to a unix type file system :blush:
It’s fine if I have to use linux commands because I have a ubuntu VM on my PC (just not too sure of what commands to use with it :slightly_smiling_face:)

OK everybody can try 2 new experimental ways

SAMBA shares usage

1. just download latest krescue system images => https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/Krescue/dump/
  2. write krescue to SD
  3. fist start Krescue -> MENU -> advanced -> format dump partition
  4. eject SD card -> insert to your PC - and create special FOLDER

we can use Samba networks share for dump / restore images and install kresq images

PREPARE

need create special FOLDER on Krescue SD card second partition root folder

samba-IP-SHARENAME

where

IP        - is share server ip adress or hostname
SHARENAME - share name 

NOTE: we can make several folders

EXAMPLES

samba-192.168.0.1-myshare
samba-10.10.10.1-krescue
samba-home-tmp

USAGE

when special SD folder was created - just start krescue from sd

MENU -> emmc write \
MENU -> emmc dump  -> select your folder samba-IP-SHARENAME

NOTES

1. krescue mount shares automaticly to samba-IP-SHARENAME folders
  2. all shares must be without password and have RW mode if u neen dump images

manual mount remount shares

MENU -> advanced  -> unmount dump storage
	      \  mount dump storages

FULL INFO ABOUT SAMBA SHARES USAGE

READ / DUMP data from emmc by HTTP

download by url via your favotite browser or downloader

FULL INFO ABOUT SIMPLE HTTP USAGE

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. I still have the same issue which is that, despite being very easy to end up with an emmc dump in a remote LAN folder, I have not found how to persuade Krescue to write that same image back to emmc, remotely (or even locally via the menu). The image created directly in the LAN folder (regardless of format), is seen in the

> MENU -> emmc dump -> select your folder samba-IP-SHARENAME

folder, but always rejected, with Krescue complaining that something is broken.
The only way I can restore an image is to write is via menu to SD and restore from same :thinking:
I will, obviously, persevere with this as Krescue is clearly going to be very valuable, once I can get it to accept the images it is producing. :slightly_smiling_face:

UPDATE
I can write images from the LAN folder, but only those that were originally dumped to the SD card :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Further investigations find that I can now dump and restore to the remote folder as long as I dump using

http://VIM_IP_ADD/api/disk/read/mmc.zst

and changing the resultat file extension to .zstd.
The file is then accepted and written to the emmc as stated here

So coming along nicely. Looking forward to the next update :+1:

Hi plz wait! this parts right now under active develop !
i think 1 - 2 days and its will ready for normal usages

Excellent news! Keep up the good work, this is getting interesting! :+1:

I actually have a VIM3, so I’ll stop clogging up this thread and tag along over at this one :smiley:

1 Like

OK! u can check last krescue images! many FIXES for U

1. dump can change and select location
  2. zst extenstion fixed
  3. many other …

goodluck

PS: will be improved ! and we can make some announce about this + manual + video - soon

4 Likes