VIM \ VIM2 \ EDGE + case + fan

Option rework of the case and install a fan.

In Ubuntu the temperature is 35-50 degrees.

2 Likes

Nice mod. Nice results.

Connected the fan at the point of supply 3.3 V (pins 20\40). The speed of the fan is sufficient to provide acceptable temperature level (fan at 5 V). When you turn off VIM this connector is also switched off (and the fan also turns off). So the fan turns on when you turn on VIM and is completely off when shutting down (the power supply is plugged in). Request to the Khadas representatives - add documentation description connector (pinout diagram) allowable current for all of the supply pins (5 V and 3.3 V) and specify which contacts have a constant voltage (and off) and which are disabled when you turn off VIM (when the power supply to the network).

The fan that I use in this design. When powered from 3.3 V, this fan is almost inaudible in operation.

how is the noise level? I am also look at the GDT 2507 fan or something like that, blower is too annoying

I checked in two modes when + 5 V and 3.3 V. the 5 V is some noise. When powered from 3.3 V, I can barely hear it. The experience of using the 3.3 , it is enough to maintain the temperature in the range of 60-65 G. at maximum load on VIM (which I could create). But I redid the body, which would be a free access of air in it (fan running pulling air from the case). Also installed a heatsink on the processor, it can improve the heat transfer of the excess heat of the incoming air. Without a radiator is the process of heat transfer much worse (area of air contact with hot surface is small).

(продублировал ответ на форуме 4pda на русском, так будет понятнее).

Add new foto for VIM2 fan (FAN_VIM2_20171017).

I used a fan 404010 mm (connected to 3.3 V). To the body attached to 4 drops of glue. For size comparison I added a photo with two fans (3535 4040). Pay attention when choosing the fan size, rate access power connector. If it is used, you need to use ventialtor 35 mm or to move it away from the connector. At maximum load the temperature does not rise above 60 Degrees. Fan noise is not great. Radiator 20206 mm included in the standard housing without modification. For mounting the radiator I used two drops of glue at the corners of the radiator (in the photo you can see them). To improve ventilation and ease of access buttons - I removed the jumpers.

In this thread, I plan to post a few recommendations on the cooling system for VIM1 and VIM2.

Radiator.

The optimum ratio of the costs\of the result, aluminium radiators with a size about 20mm20mm6mm with solid edges and a light color (not painted). You can use several options for mounting the radiator.

1. Using standard self-adhesive thermal pads. The advantages of this option. The ease of use. Disadvantages. Not a full transfer of heat from the chip to the heat sink.
  2. Using quality thermal paste and mount to the Board with a few drops of glue. Pros. The most effective heat transfer from the chip to the radiator. The ability to use without case (top cover). Disadvantages. The higher the complexity of installation and the need to use a special glue that does not damage the coating of the PCB Board.
  3. Thermal grease + mount (focus) of the radiator to the top cover through the spring or tape. Pros. High heat transfer efficiency. Disadvantages. The obligatory presence of the top cover of the housing.

Not recommended for use :

1. radiators are black (dark) color.
  2. miniature radiators, with a small area of contact with air (for example, copper from RPI with square spikes with a height of 1-2 mm).
1 Like

Hi, Balbes150:
Can you post a photo for this?

PS: Our new case will design with a heat sink together.

Honestly speaking, I didn’t know thus method would work before :smile:

Pictures will come later. :slight_smile:

New variant installation option fan. :slight_smile:
If you set the fan on top of the upper cover (NOT inside the case) and flip it upside down, then you can use both fans on the VIM2 without alteration of the body (using the available ready-made cover kit fan for VIM1). No additional pads to lift the upper lid over the surface of the Board is not required. For a good operation of the fan is recommended to seal the top hole on the fan. If you seal the top opening, the fan will grab all the air from the housing and discard. The photo shows the fan placement on top of the top cover.

1 Like

To reduce the cost of production VIM1\2 you can use a simplified version of the case. I propose to add to the range of products Khadas, a simplified version of the case. Instead of the complex shape of the middle sections (plates) of the hull, you can use a simple straight “sticks”. Two for the short sides of the hull and one at the front on a single layer. Then, when the manufacture of the body will be from one workpiece to produce a lot of straight “sticks”, without departing the middle of the plate, as is happening now. The hull shape will be similar to the well, which can be folded out of matches.

А под крышку не влезет вентилятор 40407 ?

The main question I’m very curious about is: “Where are any screw holes for Fan/Radiator mount on the PCB?

For example VIM2 is completely unusable without cooling. It reheats almost instantly under a load.

Крышку придётся сильно поднимать - искать длинные винты. Я не вижу в этом смысла.

They are placed on the top cover with reverse springs.

Option to install a standard fan on Captain + EDGE . Connecting a fan to the 3.3 V socket allows you to automatically turn it on and off when you start any system on the EDGE. The fan noise is very small (I hear it only if bring ear to a distance of 30-50 cm).

2 Likes