Truck dashboard

Im trying to make a dashboard for my truck using a VIM3. I belive with this unit already running Android, the app I use (tourqe pro) should run just fine. I plan on using an OBD2 to USB adapter that i have already used with an OTG cable to my tablet. I will only need a touch pad for the set up after that i wont need to interface with it on a regular bases. I will be using a HDMI monitior with USB power. I have seen some “one launchers” that will start your device into an app of your choice upon start up ( will this work?) The app i want to use will start in dashboard mode if selected in the settings.
I have a few concerns im hoping you guys can answer:

1. Boot time.
  2. wake up with an external button
  3. can i leave the VIM3 powered all the time and just have switched power to the screen?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and responding (if you have done so)

The same questions))))) I join

1 Like

Should be around ~20s witn Android Pie, but need confirmation from @Terry.

External power button is support via the XPWR PAD:

Should be fine but recommend you to do a test by yourself.

2 Likes

thank you for your time to respond. Im very new to this, so sorry for the “easy” questions. How do i connect to the “XPWR” ?

1 Like

The XPWR pads look like POGO pads. Generally a board would mate to the VIM3, that board would have the POGO pins that engage the pads. I know of no board for your needs , but a board could be made with perf board or similar. Otherwise, soldering leads to the pads should be possible. The pads would need to be tinned first, then a lead could be soldered to each pad, those leads would go to your remote switch(momentary type, normally open).

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your time to reply!!
i ordered my VIM3 basic today and a “DEI 582t” programable momentary relay. im hoping this is my answer. Looking forward to this project coming tougher. I will keep updating as i go.

1 Like

Also looking forward to your results.
Have fun.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

NEW QUESTION:
is there a screen dimming option?
during the day i would like it brighter than at night.
Thank you for the help

tschultz, would you mind taking a moment to let me know which momentary relay or switch you bought and if you found a solution to dimming the screen?

Thanks.

The brightness setting in Android is not working on the latest Android 9 ROM. Dimming apps exist, some allow dimming by time set, I have not tried one on the VIM3.
As far as I know, the VIM3 does not have photo sensors to detect light levels, maybe a sensor could be added to the GPIO, but that is speculation.

tschultz list the DEI 582t as the programmable momentary relay they are going to use.

“tschultz list the DEI 582t as the programmable momentary relay they are going to use”

Thanks. I am thinking of using this MOMENTARY PUSH BUTTON:

If I connect it to the XPWR pads will it work to power the VIM3 on and off?

I would think any momentary, normally open(off), switch would be fine. A switch that becomes closed(on) when pushed.
Not much data on the switch you linked to. SPDT suggests it can be “Normally open” or “Normally closed”. So should work as long as it can work as a normally open switch.
Not sure if you could use the illumination ring, depends on the power demands of the switch’s illumination circuit. If illumination works at 5v and less than 500mA, the GPIO 5v could provide the power. Then the ring would illuminate when the VIM3 was on, and go off when the VIM3 was off.

Update, just checked the XPWR pads for function. I used tweezers to simulate the switch. As expected, a press turns on the VIM3. Once on, a quick press puts it to sleep, a long press brings up the power dialog box(Power off, Restart, Screenshot).
FYI I set my VIM3 to stay off when power is applied, as I assume it might be in a mobile environment.

Thank you for all that info. I found a 12 volt version of the switch I linked earlier that can be NO or NC and will take 3 to 6 volts on the LED so it can be powered by the GPIO.

1 Like

Hey. May I ask how long does it take to booting vim3?

I’ve never timed it but mine boots up in about 15 seconds or so.

Thank you for using? LINUX? ANDROID? Or…

Android for now. Volumio later when it becomes availale.

this will be the screen I use. I have a way of mounting the buttons so you can use them

the circle are for:
turn singles
brights
check engine