Temperature range

I can’t seem to find the info anywhere. Does anyone know what the high and low range on the Edge is?

Do you mean the “environmental operating range”? Or the possible max temperature of the SoC when in use?

My bad, I was half asleep when I posted that. LOL.
When I eventually get around to it, I want to put the Edge and the Captin in my car. Winters in Canada get really bad, but the summers…in a car it might as well be on the sun. LOL. What is the “theoretical” operating range?

1 Like

So does anyone know?

1 Like

Adding up to your temperature operating range question, since I still haven’t received my Edge-V I’d also like to know the aproximate max power consumption of the RK3399 to know which passive cooling solution I would have to design (a whole heatsink, instead of the Khadas heatsink+fan solution)

1 Like

There are two revisions RK3399 SoC with different working temperature range:

• Normal RK3399: 0 ~ 80 ℃
  • RK3399K: range from -20 ~ 80 ℃

The K is the first letter of Chinese word "Kuan Wen/宽温” which standard for wide range temperature.

The Edge(-V) is equipped with normal RK3399, but the 80 ℃ is theoretical ambition working temperature, the actual working temperature also depends on the working environment, for example, the heat spreading solution & ambition temperature. Anyway, 0~45 ℃ should be not problem with right heat spreading solution.

Have fun!

2 Likes

I can somewhat work with 45C. 0C might be a bit of an issue tho. Good to know thanks.

Oh yea man, I’ve been to Canada for internship for 6 months! Felt like I was on another planet!

Frozen car seats, haha.

Would adding thermal-insulation help? I believe that could “lag” the temperature changes as your car transitions through a typical day. Or stick the SBC close to a radiator or something, haha!

P.S. not sure anything survives -40C though, I remember my Nokia phone’s LCD would stop working! And the battery would go completely dead, until I got back into the house…though no permanent damage.

to be fair most electronics would never last in -40, BUT what do they do inside of car radios? It’s actually really cool watching/using an LCD screen in -30. LOL
What kind of thermal insulation could I use? I remember reading somewhere that there is some kind of liquid that can be applied to electronics to not only help with condensation but it helps with extreme temps as well.

1 Like

Plastic is a good thermal and electric insulator, you could do a plastic enclosure. Considering air is a great insulator (thats why double glass has an air gap), maybe you could apply that with a double sealed plastic enclosure leaving air between both. And if you wanna go nuts, instead of air you could use polyurethane foam to fill the gap or poliesthirene boards.
The problem of insulating it to avoid really low external temps affecting your board is that the heat that it generates will neither be able to escape, thus probably throtling the CPU depending on the load you put on it.

1 Like

It’s a good idea but when the car starts to heat up then the insulator would be to much, also in the summer the Edge would literally melt. LOL
I found that liquid that I was talking about before. it’s called conformal coating, anyone know anything about it?

When I did component level Mil-Spec repairs on boards, the conformal coating would have to be removed and then reapplied after repair. Was my least favorite part of the repair. So, I know that about it.:smile:
Anyway, this site has much info on conformal coating.

LOL that sounds like it sucked. I dont see any reason why I would need to remove it tho.
Nice site find, It actually explains a lot. From the looks of it I think it might be just what I need.

1 Like