Powering the VIM3

We haven’t the DJI Mavic 2 device, @kin_0201 Can you help for it? Thanks

@gabo1 Are you using VIM 3 V13? The version number is printed on the board.

As I said, we managed to use the VIM 3 V12 to get video streams from DJI Mavic 2, the only problem is that it may reboot when starting the controller. I have just bought the V13 and will give it a go. I can keep you posted on this after my test next well.

3 Likes

@kin_0201! I got a VIM3 V13 and its works!!!

Best
Luis

2 Likes

Hi @gabo1 , I got my VIM3 V13 too. I also bought the M2X extension board, so that I can power the VIM3 using the type C port of the extension board. I found the following results:

1. I can power up VIM 3 and connect to the drone while connecting a 5.2V 2.1A power adapter on the expansion board. Everything works fine except I can only have 32bit Android.

2. Strangely, when I use the original Khadas 12V power adapter, it works fine on the USB type C port, but fails to boot up on the type C port on the expansion board. @Terry Do you have any thoughts on this strange behavior?

The Khadas 12V power adapter is a PD adapter, and the default output connecting expansion board is only 5v, The output is 12v if it is connected to the type-c port.

would love see how this come out … please share

1 Like

Hello all,

I want to add power measurement board for khadas vim3 v13 board.
So, I need to supply power through VIN port. on the other hand, I require simultaneous data connection to laptop through khadas port C. For connecting power to VIN I test two way but fails in both:
1- Connecting power to a USB breakout board and connect VDD and gnd pins to the VIN. (The board try to start but it cannot start). The point is that breakout USB board specification show 1.5 Amper output.(And as my power supply is 5.1 v so probably limited amper is problem)

2- Connecting USB to ttl to power supply and VIN port of Khadas. And I test different power supply. It cause white LED of khadas to turn on for some milisecond and go off.

What is the solution?

@kin_0201 @Electr1 @gabo1 @Terry @Gouwa @Vladimir.v.v @JustSumDad

Thanks,
Ehsan

Hi @Ehsan, do you need to measure power via the VIM3 or externally (like external power meter)?

if you vim3 fails to power on, make sure you have atleast 5v 2A when booting up, else VIM won’t make it past powering the onboard power management MCU.

I am using external power measurement board.
Is is internal tool for measuring power?

there are many USB-C power meters available on the market, you could check those out,
even a testing with a multimeter is possible from the USB-C pins when probed properly (though could be tedious if you don’t have pointy probes)

1 Like

You can try to use an adapter larger than 5.5V for power supply

Hello everyone,

I want to power the khadas vim3 pro onboard of a drone with a 3S Lipo battery (2500mAh 30C). This same battery is also connected to the brushless motors needed during flight. The board works fine as long as the throttle is low, but as soon as the throttle increases the khadas reboots. This behavior also happens when I remove the propellers from the motors (therefore drawing much less current).

Why does this happen? What is the solution?

@Electr1 @Terry

Thanks for the attention to this message

@dumahackerbit that is just the motors grabbing all the current the lipo can provide, that kind of current spike can sometimes draw in the ranges of 100A depending again, on the C rating of your battery.

normally this is why external electronics are recommended to be powered from a separate power source, or to use some sort of power limiter. alternatives would include attaching a very large capacitor to the input end of the ESCs, this would allow you to punch the throttle for short durations without causing the VIM to loose power but again I’d rather just provide independent power :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The problem though is that this happens also if I don’t have any propellers mounted on the motors. In this case the Amp draw is way lower, but still the khadas switches off when I increase throttle so it seems that it is annoyed by the current spike (independently from its magnitude).

Just a guess, maybe it has something to do with noise from ESCs or motors. Can you try smoothing the VIM power input with a cap?

Another possibility could be vibration affecting the power connection. Check connection site. VIN might provide a more vibration resistant connection than USB-C.

I have a capacitor on the vim power input, but the behavior is the same. The USB-C feels a bit wobbly, but the vibrations are dampened with some dampers between the drone and the khadas, and without propellers, they are not that much… I don’t know if the VIN connector can withstand the voltage and current of a 3S lipo battery (?). If this is possible, should I short the two positives and the two negatives on one single + and ground respectively to the battery?

Current draw on the VIN connector or USB+C port will be determined by the VIM3 and connected peripherals, not by the power source. Though the power source may limit how much can be drawn by VIN or USB3.

Your issue sounds like a power starvation issue.

As to the VIN pin assignments…