Powering the VIM3

are supplying over 5v on the VIN port ?
If not, there is no problem in using it simultaneously, just apply a slightly extra voltage (0.1v - 0.2v) to compensate for any voltage drop from extra load by due to accessories…

that is not possible, what about a cable that splits the OTG to power and data ?

2 Likes

I purchased the VIN to VIN Cable SKU: K-VIN-001 Cut it in half and soldered it to a Buck/Boost convertor that I set to 5.25v
This works great for me, very reliable boot and the USB-C is left open.

4 Likes

@Electr1 and @JustSumDad , thanks, I finally get it working: to supply 5.25 V via VIN and use the type c port for my USB devices. Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know what is the VIN connector called? I can’t find the connector anywhere else except the “VIN to VIN Cable SKU: K-VIN-001”. Currently, I can only buy the K-VIN-001 cable and solder it to a 5.25 V adapter myself, but I want to find a standard adapter for this VIN connector

3 Likes

I ordered the VIN cable when I ordered my VIM3 as I expected it would be a weird connector.

I wish I had realized the same issue would exist on the RTC battery connector tho… been waiting months to solve that problem…

1 Like

It’s 78171-0004 according to sheet 6 on the schematic here https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/VIM3/Schematic/VIM3_V12_Sch.pdf

1 Like

If you are in the US or several other countries, Khadas offers free shipping. I ordered my RTC battery from them recently. Arrived pretty quick.

1 Like

To Canada they want $20 USD for shipping that 2$ battery… $22 USD… NOPE!

I got them to do a substitute by ordering a heat pad and requesting a flip to the RTC battery on aliexpress.
This way I ordered two RTC batteries and my total was $5.39 CAD
Ordered this two weeks back and now its supposedly waiting on clearing customs here in Canada. So anywhere between 2 days and 2 weeks more :slight_smile:

Hi @kin_0201, I was wondering if VIM3 can recognize the drone controller. I use linux-adk for testing and it seems that VIM3 does not support AOA(Android Open Accessory) protocol. Thanks!

Hi @CLwhite, VIM3 can recognize the drone controller when I use the Android OS. I don’t know what linux-adk is, is it some sort of Linux distro that can run android app? The DJI SDK wont run on Linux as far as I know.

The linux adk is a software aims to turn GNU/Linux machine into an Android Accessory. In my last test, I found vim3 can’t switch to Accessory Mode,so i thought vim3 cannot communicate with drone controller normally. I will give it another try. Thanks.

Hi @kin_0201

Can you advice me how connect VIM3 with drone controller?
I have de same issue, I try with 5.20 an 5.30 v with no successful :frowning:

I connect data (USB A) Drone to USB C (Khadas)
Power Khadas VIN
Power Controller drone (lateral conector)

Best
gabo

Hi @gabo1

I managed to power the VIM 3 with 5,25V and connecting the devices as you described. However, it does reboot sometimes when switching on the controller. When it is not rebooting, I do manage to get the video stream for my Mavic 2 from VIM3. Not sure if the new Vim3 works better.

What happens when you try to switch on the controller? Is it rebooting? Maybe you can try increase the voltage a little bit.

Ken

No difference between V12 and V13 on this.

For rebooting, you might need to check the power source and a good quanlity cable for less voltage drop in the case of high current. We will suggest 12V input in your case.

We used 12V before but it burnt our drone controller, so the voltage can’t be too high, at least in the V12 version.

Now, V13 separates the VIN and USB type-C, it should be safe to use a 12V power source via VIN, then connect the drone controller via USB type-C.

It should work with 12V on V13, but I haven’t got theV13 board yet, so didn’t have a chance to try it out.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

@kin_0201 / @Gouwa

In VIM2 and EDGE works fine, drone controller launch the android app, but in VIM3 Pro don’t fire the app … It seems that there is no communication VIM3 and drone controller.

We have 40 khadas vim2 and edge works fine with dji mavic 2, but the new one vim3 dont work.

Best
Luis

We haven’t the DJI Mavic 2 device, @kin_0201 Can you help for it? Thanks

@gabo1 Are you using VIM 3 V13? The version number is printed on the board.

As I said, we managed to use the VIM 3 V12 to get video streams from DJI Mavic 2, the only problem is that it may reboot when starting the controller. I have just bought the V13 and will give it a go. I can keep you posted on this after my test next well.

3 Likes

@kin_0201! I got a VIM3 V13 and its works!!!

Best
Luis

2 Likes

Hi @gabo1 , I got my VIM3 V13 too. I also bought the M2X extension board, so that I can power the VIM3 using the type C port of the extension board. I found the following results:

1. I can power up VIM 3 and connect to the drone while connecting a 5.2V 2.1A power adapter on the expansion board. Everything works fine except I can only have 32bit Android.

2. Strangely, when I use the original Khadas 12V power adapter, it works fine on the USB type C port, but fails to boot up on the type C port on the expansion board. @Terry Do you have any thoughts on this strange behavior?

The Khadas 12V power adapter is a PD adapter, and the default output connecting expansion board is only 5v, The output is 12v if it is connected to the type-c port.