Operating systems for system development beginners

Hi, I recently bought a vim3 pro khadas. I’m starting my studies in embedded systems development. I already downloaded and installed ubuntu. I would like to know from more experienced users in this area, if there is any system suitable for those who are new to this area, and if there is any literature to help, as I have already searched and found articles on Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone.

Thanks.

1 Like

Interesting question! Maybe @numbqq or @hyphop will have some suggestions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Junior_Godoi You can refer to our document to get familiar with the board first. Our document basically includes all the function descriptions and expanded applications of this board.

1 Like

Developers engaged in embedded development are probably running Ubuntu, Fedora, or macOS to write the actual code for embedded applications, but the actual embedded system will be running a custom OS image that has been purpose-made for the device:

the reference for building a Linux OS is here: linuxfromscratch.org <= has all the info neede to create your own OS from scratch (not be a derivative of Debian or RHEL, etc.).

However that’s hard work, so most embedded systems will use a known build-system that already has a large library of packages and the workflow needed to cross-compile a working image. Yocto and OpenEmbedded both have support for Amlogic hardware using latest upstream and LTS kernels and upstream u-boot which have good support for Khadas devices.

There are lots of good videos relvant to embedded development to watch from “Embedded Linux Conference” on YouTube (in the Linux Foundation channel). The “Kernel Recipes” and “Kernel Plumbers” conferences and “Linaro Developer Conference” channels also have good content. The main challenge is “embedded development” is a mile-wide + mile-deep topic, so it helps to focus in a little on a specific area of interest.

4 Likes

confirm :wink: most of devs used Ubuntu …

1 Like

Thanks @chewitt. I will look into it.

Good, but considering that I’m a complete layman on the subject. is there any ready OS that I can use and increase the performance of the board. For example gnome uses much more graphical resources than xfce, correct? What packages to remove or install to improve the capabilities of the card, thinking about image processing, working with ML and DL
@Frank @tsangyoujun @hyphop @chewitt