Open GL ES renderer

Which Khadas SBC do you use?

**Khadas VIM3 pro**

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

**Ubuntu 20.04**

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

**Official Khadas image Ubuntu 20.04**

Please describe your issue below:

`**I can not switch on the support of Open GL ES. Every program that uses Open GL ES can not be started and shows a message box with text like: “Can not get right renderer mode” or something similar. I can not find any information how to change the actual renderer or switch on Open GL ES.
For example I have installed the videogame “Doom” through the terminal (chocolate doom) and add the classic Doom.WAD file to the source directory but by the launch I get the message, that the game can not find the right renderer (Doom uses OpenGl). The second example: I use processing programming language and can use for the rendering Java or Open GL renderings (Render Techniques / Processing.org). The second mode (Open GL) doesn’t work on my Khadas.

I had experience with Raspberry Pi 4B and I had the same problem. But the Raspberry PI 4B has a tool named Raspi-config that gives the ability to change the renderer to Open GL ES. I don’t know the similar tool on Khadas.
What should I do to use the abilities of OpenGl ES on Khadas? Should I install something or simple edit some text files in root directories?.**`

Hello @Alexander_Gorodilov

If you want to use Open GLES, you need to use the server image which has fbdev gpu support.

1 Like

Does it mean that I can not use Opengl ES on a desktop version of Ubuntu? Is it possible only on server version?

For 4.9 kernel, yes, only support fedev on framebuffer console.

But for 5.x kernel you can use the opensource gpu driver and use OpenGL ES under desktop.

Did I right understand that I need to install the Mainline Kernel Image from the page https://docs.khadas.com/linux/firmware/Vim3UbuntuFirmware.html under the link: https://dl.khadas.com/firmware/VIM3/Ubuntu/SD_USB/vim3-ubuntu-20.04-gnome-linux-5.18-fenix-1.1.1-220725.img.xz to use Open GL ES under desktop?