Nvme ssd won't mount after update

How are you connecting the NVMe to the board?

it is connected thru the new m2x adapter along with the 4g chip

no if it does not show up i am unable to mount. once i get everything set up with UUID in /etc/fstab it will show up on boot but come unmounted when i try to move files around or use it

Hello @dofthed

So when you do a software reboot the NVMe SSD will disappear? How about unplug the power cable and then plugin? Does the SSD work?

i have re installed from oowow a few times but always end up with input / output error. i will try a fresh install tonight. the problem happens if i remove power supply or do sudo reboot

Hello @dofthed

Have you ever tried other SSD? As we don’t have sabrent rocket M.2 2280 PCIe 4.0 NVMe TLC SSD at this moment so can’t do more testing.

this is the only one that i have but others in the forums have used the sabrent rocket

The WD Blue and the 970EVO plus are working fine here.

If you have a heatsink on the NVMe make sure the bracket that holds on the heatsink has some insulation between it and board, mine was shorting out a couple of parts and causing trouble.

does it support 2tb or only 1tb ssd?

I think it doesn’t have the limitation of capacity.

We are running 1Tb & 500Mb, have not tried the 2Tb, they should be okay too.

yes, the vim4 supports a 2tb nvme ssd.

at first, the vim4 was having issues with my drive, but it turned out to be my fault (maybe).

what i did:
removed the drive
using another system i completely formatted it
plugged it back into the vim4 and proceeded to create a new partition.

okay ill see what i can get happening with this approach, i will re flash the internal drive and try this approach.

@NullOrEmpty when you plug it back into the vim4, how did you partition? when i use fdisk it seems to erase ext4 format. should i use gparted? any time i try to get to the nvme drive with fdisk or gparted, it becomes unavailable unless i physically unplug the vim4 and plug it back in. then the drive shows up initally but disappears once i try to edit it.

i’m fairly new to Ubuntu so take this with a grain of salt. also, I’m running the latest 22.04 non-server image from owowow or whatever its called.

here are the commands i ran:

lsblk
sudo mkfs.ext4 - j -L NewHD /dev/nvme0n1
sudo blkid /dev/nvme0n1
sudo mkfs.ext4 -j -L NewName /dev/nvme0n1
sudo blkid /dev.nvme0n1
sudo nano /ext/fstab

in fstab there’s a reference to the new drive.

before formatting the drive, i was having all sorts of issues and about gave up on the vim4. this is the device i used to format the nvme drive: USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe and SATA SSDs

@NullOrEmpty i will try this, you never made a partition for it? when i make a partition it erases the filesystem that i created on the different machine. i will try mounting nvme0n1 in stead of nvme0n1p1

You should be able to see the drive name in the gpart app.

got everything working, but haven’t been able to get any partitions only /dev/nvme0n1 mounted but if i create a /dev/nvme0n1p1 i get the input / output error

yes, i must have created the partition.

looking at gparted, when i select the ssd, there’s one partition listed. in /etc/fstab there’s an entry for the drive.

UUID=99999-9999-9999-9999-99999999999 /mnt/NewName auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,x-gvfs-name=NewName 0 0