Noob wants to set up Tone Board VIMs Edition in car

Nice. So you will take 12V from the ignition and put in on this regulator then give 5v to the board from here. And what about the on and off switch? Or extending the ir sensor? Any thought on this?

Yes, I will build a regulator board (with various output voltages/currents if needed) attached to the audio system Bosch relay (for turn on/off)-not the ignition. With fused outputs to the VIM3L.

According to the Spec. sheet the VIM3L has ā€œXPWR Pads For External Power Buttonā€ so I will use them to attach and mount a dash mounted on/off power switch.

For extending the IR sensor I will use an IR Extender Cable like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Extender-Cable-Receiver-Black/dp/B005E2XLNM

And if that doesnā€™t work Iā€™ll just extend the actual on board IR receiver light on the VIM3L.
Iā€™m going to post photos of the whole fab., install and (mods. if needed) process.

3 Likes

I am wanting to confirm that the VIM3L will work with the M2X Extension Board. I just noticed last night that the M2X Extension Board is quoted as having:

ā€œCompatibility: VIM3 (Full-Featured, PCIe x1 Lane
Edge-V (SSD-only, PCIe x4 Lane)ā€

So is the M2X compatible with the VIM3L?

I have the first iteration of the enclosure that I will use to install my VIM3L into the dash of my car. The enclosure itself is a layup of fibreglass and crabon fibre cloth, it is groundable if that becomes necessary. The trim ring is an aftermarket piece that fits into the dash opening of my car.

1 Like

Hello, According to this page, the M2X board is also for the VIM3L. M2X also shows up in the VIM3Lā€™s product page.

Looking forward to your project.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Re-did the enclosure front with upward and lefward facing angles and rounded edges. This is how the finished piece will look and Iā€™ll start on the usable enclosure tonight using this sample as a reference.

1 Like

Hiā€¦ just wanted to know, if you manage to extend the IR module from the board, and if so how did you do that?
I have a similar situation, where the IR module may be blocked in by the housing, and I may need to extend it out.

Hi [Ro_Ro, I have not gotten to the point of extending the IR module yet but de-soldering it will be the very last option I choose as it probably kills the warranty and because I had a very bad experience with de-soldering the RCAā€™s on a DSP. I will post my solution in this thread when I find it.

Yeah, I just received my VIM3L board and from what I see, it is pretty much impossible or difficult to de-solder the IR module. The board is a double sided printed board with very small padsā€¦ I think attempting this may just screw up the board.

Hello @Donanon and @Ro_Ro , Perhaps an IR repeater could be used.
I would think a DIY repeater solution could also be created, search the net for possible IR repeater circuits, may get lucky.:slightly_smiling_face:

I have often wondered if a simple strand of optic fiber could work to deliver the IRā€™s beam to a remote IR RX. I will experiment tonight with an optical SPDIF cable to test this theory.
@Ro_Ro
Update: I conducted the test. An SPDIF optical cable will pass a remoteā€™s IR signal to a remote IR RX, albeit with some caveats.
1.) The SPDIF cable must be placed very near or touching the IR RX, and preferably perpendicular to the IR RX.
2.) The range between remote and the SPDIF cable is somewhat limited. Also the remote requires a fairly narrow aim angle to the SPDIF cable.
Possible ways to mitigate the range and angle shortcomings might include,ā€¦
For improving angle, removing the cableā€™s headshell on the receiving end, and/or using some sort of refractor. These may also benefit range.
For improving range, perhaps a shorter cable would help, the one used for the test was a little under 2 meters.

Yes, I think a IR repeater would be a simple solution, I have linked to one that should workā€¦but I am giving up on making my own car computer and am seeking a return/refund from Khadas.

Sorry to hear it. I was looking forward to your project.
Best wishes.

After some thought and an email from kingsley I have decided to proceed with my project. Sorry for that moment of weaknessā€¦Iā€™m back on track.

3 Likes

@RDFTKV Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes I guess if you use an optical cable, you may have to use a lens to focus the IR beam into the optical cable, otherwise true, it will work only with the caveats.
I may go for the IR repeater option which @Donanon suggested.
As of now I have designed the case with a 100 x 10mm window cut out and I will cover it with an amber colored acrylic strip. If that doesnt work, will use the IR repeater.

1 Like

@Donanon I thought you required the tone board to make use of the DAC for good audio quality outputā€¦ Or does your car DSP already has a DAC built in it?

Hi Ro_Ro,
Yes, the miniDSP 6X8 DSP I am using has on board DACā€™s but AFAIK the only way to access them without an RCA output is through Spdif and I decided to make things easier for myself by using the ToneBoard. I am in Vietnam right now for a month so my project is on hold until I return to Canada.

Was wondering to power the IR repeater, where on the board can i tap for 5V power source ? If the board is powered by USB C the voltage can go upto 12V which may burn the IR repeater?
Any thoughts on this ?

Hello, Keep in mind that the TBā€™s USB-C port functions as a USB2.0 port. Based on the TBā€™s specifications page, I do not think the TB should be exposed to voltages greater than 5 volts.

I do not think the TB has the USB-C negotiation circuitry, so most likely, when a USB-C charger is used, it will fail power negotiations and may default to 5v, bit of speculation here. In any event, caution should be exercised.

Otherwise, 5 volts is available at several points, see schematic for locations.

Tonight I will check some points for 5v and post results.

@Ro_Ro When the TB is powered via the USB-C port(5vdc), as expected, 5 volts is available on the GPIO at pins 1(+5vdc)&21(Ground). Sorry, I am unwilling to test with input voltages greater that 5vdc.

2 Likes