New VIM4 with Ubuntu GNOME installed by OOWOW: systemd-modules.load.service Failed

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu GNOME installed via OOWOW unto the EMMC.

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Khadas Official Images

Please describe your issue below:

On a fresh install, I’m noticing two issues that may be related:

1. When the system is idling, the fan comes on for several seconds and goes off, every minute or two. (I need to actually time this.)
  2. The Load Kernel Modules systemd startup service fails with exist status 1. It appears to successfully insert (or mark as built in) several modules, and then fails.

(My thought is it’s failing to finish loading the fan controller? Either way, I don’t think it should be failing at all with what sounds like a critical startup service.)

I’ve done sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. It downlaoded some packages, but the problem remains.

This is my first SBC that isn’t a Raspberry Pi. I’m not really sure how to go about trying to fix this. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Post a console log of your issue below:

$ systemctl --failed
  UNIT                         LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION        
● systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
1 loaded units listed.

$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service 
× systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2022-05-25 06:54:40 CST; 23min ago
       Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
             man:modules-load.d(5)
    Process: 317 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 317 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 973ms

May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd-modules-load[317]: Inserted module 'gpio_keypad'
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd-modules-load[317]: Inserted module 'exfat'
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd-modules-load[317]: Module 'dwmac_dwc_qos_eth' is built in
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd-modules-load[317]: Inserted module 'dolby_fw'
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd-modules-load[317]: Inserted module 'adc_keypad'
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd-modules-load[317]: Inserted module 'optee'
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd-modules-load[317]: Inserted module 'optee_armtz'
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
May 25 06:54:40 Khadas systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

It doesn’t matter, just some unused modules, already fixed for next release.

1 Like

Thanks! Sounds like I don’t need to worry about this.

Re: Next Release– Will I get a notice to update via apt-get, or is that the kind of update that would require a clean install via OOWOW?

Re: Fan On/Off Issue: Sounds like this isn’t related?

No.

what issue? The default FAN mode is auto which means the FAN will turn on when the temperature is high and turn off when the temperature is low.

I should probably break off a separate topic for this, but it just seemed odd to me that it turned on for several seconds while the machine was pretty much at idle, ran for about 30 seconds, and shut down again. I don’t have lm-sensors installed yet, but nothing seemed to be happening that would make the temperature cyclicly spike.

Just to clarify, no clean install required for those sorts of updates?

Sorry, for current image is still test image so if you want to upgrade to other image provided by us you have to reinstall the image.

But we will release a base image with OTA upgrade supported, based on this image for future upgrade you can simple use apt command to upgrade your system no need to reinstall the whole image.

1 Like