MultiOS_3in1 (Android+Libreelec+Linux) install to eMMC

I can assemble a version of the image 3_in_1 for SD\USB, but the main problem is that I have no version of Android that can work with external media. If someone can give me a version of Android that works with external drives, I can collect 3_in_1 option for external media.

I missed something again.
I ran kvim2-update
It showed everything went fine.
I rebooted.
And got into VIM2_Nougat_20171123 the same I had prior installation
And I can’t find any menu to reboot to other OSes
What did I miss?

btw your kvim2_update_SRC_20170926.img.xz looks broken.
It has chmod 1023:1023 on all /usr/bin files including sudo and suid bit not set
I had to mount it and fix owners
find /mnt -group 1023 -exec chgrp -h root {} ;
find /mnt -user 1023 -exec chown -h root {} ;

Also I wasn’t able to use wifi to download image on SD. It couldn’t find wifi driver.

Long press (2-3 seconds) of the button on\off on the remote control or on the Board.

For Wifi see description of settings Armbian.

Pushing middle button on the board only leads to:
[ 109.243827@2] input input1: key 102 up
[ 111.025232@5] fb: osd[1] enable: 1 (surfaceflinger)
[ 115.000489@4] fb: osd[1] enable: 0 (surfaceflinger)
and nothing…

Can you please tell me the command from android console to run the menu?

not press the middle(funkction) button
the button power\shutdown.

At the end we have:

1. Android lacks Android SetupWizard so you can’t install enterprise policy rules there
  2. LibreELEC lacks Chrome as a fact. You just can’t run/install any web browser there because it doesn’t run on Xorg.
  3. Armbian Chromium shows 7.4fps on 1080p videos.
    it’s upsetting.

Uploaded the update 20180122 for Libreelec of composition MultiOS_3_in_1 .

Pay attention to the change in file allocation system MultiOS_3_in_1. Now all updates (tar files) for Libreelec will be placed in the root directory MultiOS_3_in_1. Archives with the system (KVIM2-emmc.img.tar.gz) will, as before, be placed in the directory with date version.

4 Likes

Hi all,

I downloaded Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20171007.img.xz from the ddb directory and used etcher to burn on SD card.

How do i boot into the linux OS on the SD Card?

I already have Vim2_Nought Android OS installed on eMMC which i am happy to wipe prior to downloading the MultiOS 3in1 (Android+Libreelec+Linux).

But the Android OS keeps rebooting. What button should i press to boot from SD Card?

Much appreciated,

Michael

It has been a while since I made bootable SD card but
http://docs.khadas.com/develop/CreateBootableSDCard/
might help.
I normally also activate ‘balbes’ multi-boot (from Android UPDATE&BACKUP).
3_in_1 in the end is different in that it overwrites entire eMMC.
To install 3_in_1 one needs to do so booted from external medium (SD, USB).
have a nice day

2 Likes

OK - to install the 3in1 MultiOS you need to boot from an SDcard (or USB stick but lets keep the focus on SDcard). I used a Armbian Server image but your problem at the moment is to get anything to boot from SD.

Try the UpgradeMode steps - alternatively I think I have had success (SDcard loaded of course)

1. Unplug power cable
  2. Push and hold power button (closest to IO pins)
  3. Plug in power cable
  4. Push/release function button (middle of the 3)
  5. Release the power button after 3 or more seconds, or when you see boot in progress on screen.
    In case of frustration try same steps but at step 4 give reset button (closest to USB port) a push instead. Otherwise you can also try dd the u-boot sectors as per the link from tasinofan.

This whole boot stuff still has me confused - once you get 3in1 installed at least you are in known state. (Or similarly I have flashed the Khadas Ubuntu server image multiple times when I was playing to at least get to a known state where my Armbian SD would boot.

OK - if you can boot from the Armbian SDcard then you need to copy the 3in1 image to the /ddbr directory, and from a command prompt as su run kvim2-update. The prompts are fairly self explanatory - takes about 20 minutes to write the 16GB of image.

4 Likes

Great! Followed your handy sequence…

So here i am on the MATE desktop and i just ran the install.sh script under sudo at command prompt.

What follows is the last output of the install.sh run -

Done copy ROOTFS

Writing new kernel image…
65536+0 records in
65536+0 records out
33554432 bytes (34 MB, 32 MiB) copied, 0.656551 s, 51.1 MB/s
/dev/boot: no Android Magic Value
/dev/boot: not a valid Android Boot Image.

done.
Write env bootargs

Complete copy OS to eMMC parted DATA

Here’s output of ‘df -h’

root@amlogic:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 1.3G 0 1.3G 0% /dev
tmpfs 270M 13M 258M 5% /run
/dev/mmcblk1p2 15G 3.4G 11G 24% /
tmpfs 1.4G 180K 1.4G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.4G 0 1.4G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 1.4G 12K 1.4G 1% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk1p1 128M 54M 75M 42% /boot
log2ram 50M 2.3M 48M 5% /var/log
tmpfs 270M 0 270M 0% /run/user/0
tmpfs 270M 40K 270M 1% /run/user/1000

Here’s output of ‘ls -la’ on /ddbr

root@amlogic:/ddbr# ls -la
total 12
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Jan 30 22:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Jan 30 22:19 …
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 30 22:23 install

So now i am downmloading the folder titled VIM2_MultiOS3in1.zip from the Yandisk online storage. I will then move this over to the /ddbr directory on /root.

Okay so i copied the files over to /ddbr on root as can be seen in output -
root@amlogic:/ddbr# ls -la
total 2452708
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Jan 31 00:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Jan 30 22:19 …
-rw-rw-r-- 1 michaelnewham michaelnewham 1937 Jan 30 23:25 fan.sh
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 30 22:23 install
-rw-rw-r-- 1 michaelnewham michaelnewham 2897 Jan 30 23:25 kvim2-update
-rw-rw-r-- 1 michaelnewham michaelnewham 260757980 Jan 30 23:32 kvim2_update_SRC_20170926.img.xz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 michaelnewham michaelnewham 2250765424 Jan 31 00:00 VIM2_MultiOS_3in1.zip

But when i run ‘kvim2-update’ it outputs -

root@amlogic:/ddbr# kvim2-update
AVAILABLE DEVICES: mmcblk0 mmcblk1
YOU ARE RUNNING xenial FROM mmcblk1
NO IMAGE FOUND. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MADE A BACKUP FIRST.

But i did that as can be seen in previous post…

Any suggestions? Cheers…

Backup is done with ddbr tool. Having original eMMC backup one can restore it, should one encounter issues later. So, once booted into armbian from SD, did you make a backup with ddbr tool?

2 Likes

To install MultiOS_3_in_1 it is NOT necessary to do. This command (install.sh) is designed for installation in Armbian eMMC (this is not related to the installation MultiOS_3_in_1).

You need to download only the files KVIM2-emmc.tar.gz and put it in the directory /ddbr on the media. Delete any remaining files from the directory /ddbr (which you put there yourself). In the directory /ddbr should be only the files KVIM2-emmc.tar.gz. Script kvim2-update you need to download only if its not in the system. All the latest images Armbian it is by default, download it separately is not required.

1 Like

Seems like you are nearly there.

As per balbes150 and tasinofan all you need to do is

1. Unzip VIM2_MultiOS so that the file KVIM2-emmc.tar.gz is in /ddbr
  2. Run kvim2-update as su.

In your case there is no KVIM2-emmc.tar.gz file in /ddbr . As you are not bothered to save your Android you can skip that. If the file IS present then it offers to install it.

You have done some bits you don’t need but that is no problem.

1 Like

Okay got it working. Appreciate the help thus far… :sweat_smile:

Just wondering when in Ubuntu desktop how do i reboot to Android or Libreelec?

Command to reboot is not appearing in Applications, Places or System menu at top of MATE desktop.

Ta,
Michael.

If you have not changed (do not create new user) in the System Menu has two items “Android Reboot” and “Reboot Libreelec”.

1 Like

FYI
When using VIM2_Nougat_V180206 dd backup for boot system recovery partitions one can restore them to 3_in_1 in Linux and do dirty Android upgrade. Note: I had first cleaned dalvik-cache and cache too.
The balbes magic even seems to preserve the reboot to Linux or LE in Android :slight_smile:
I have 2 kvim2 (one eMMC stock Android and one eMMC 3_in_1) so I could easily dd backup the partitions on first one to use for second one.
If anyone requires the dd backup images for VIM2_Nougat_V180206 system recovery (and other) partitions, I can put them on GDrive or Yandex.
Have a nice day.
update
Meanwhile I notice there is a VIM2_Nougat_V180209 available.
I’ll upgrade same way next weekend probably.

2 Likes

Hi Marc
Send me all sections of Android, I want to update the version of the image on the site for the new version of Android.

Hi Oleg
I emailed the URLs
I would want to upgrade next to VIM2_Nougat_V180209.
Not sure if it differs much from VIM2_Nougat_V180206 (I asked in other thread).
have a nice day