Mounting for pc

i’m pretty noob to khadas, but not to pc sound solutions

what i am wondering : is it plausible to mount the tone board in a pc slot cover, such that it is to all extents and purposes an ersatz “sound card” ?

i can feed coax or usb from the mainboard backplate, and use the rca to send analogue downstream to my amp

will the internal positioning in the pc need shielding, or is it a practical option to just mount it and go

i think just plug into usb sockets and rsa its ok for normal usage!
but for HiFi audiophiles maniacs its not enough ))) (separate power + power noise filers + shield + silver wires + lamps preamps )

2 Likes

See this thread for where to connect the Tone Board to a USB header on the motherboard. I assume the phonos need the same cutout as BNCs and will just fit through the slot in the PC case.

i am happy to use normal usb and rca connectors; it’s the possibility of convenient mounting in a pc case so it’s available like a pci-e sound card plugs on the back of a case - like say an asus stx or hdav

if i buy one i’ll post pics of how i manage the situation

1 Like

Hello, I think the Tone Board could possibly be mounted on a case slot cover. Not sure if side to side clearance with existing expansion cards in your PC would be a problem.
The Non-VIM version of the TB is narrower, as it has no mounted GPIO header.
If you have the room and you don’t like to solder, I assume the VIM version’s GPIO header could be used to connect the TB internally to an available USB header on your PC’s motherboard. NOTE: I have not tried this, I have no desktop PC at the moment, so proceed with caution.
As for electrical interference, I have no prediction on that.
With the case I have here, the control nuts would have to be put on with the slot cover installed, as they are wider than the slot’s opening.
Some pictures to get some ideas…

3 Likes

this is useful, as i have no board (yet) to test sizes

attaching the control nuts with the case open as i support the board would be simple; there is plenty of room as i use onboard video, and the only slot currently engaged holds the xonar hdav sound card, that this would replace

drilling the metal seems the hardest part

however, modifying a slot cover to hold the tone board utilising a bespoke piece of thin ply (or even perspex or plastic) after amputating most of the metal would be a real possibility

indeed, the lock nuts could replace the usual mechanism and simply hold the mounted card in the empty slot - it’s not like there is any great pressure on the thing after the plugs are connected

if it happens, i’ll post pics

thanks for your input :+1:

3 Likes

late reply, but i have been enjoying the ktb in a small wooden box till today, when i went all out and fitted it to a proper metal case

1 Like

Nicely done, looks great.

To add, in the pre-digital days, weight was almost synonymous with quality gear, be it turntables, amps, speakers, etc. So I still like to feel weight in a piece of audio gear, so I can appreciate the “Hefty feel”.:slightly_smiling_face:
Good job on the USB-C port’s opening too.

yeah, thanks

for my first ever foray into metalwork (though an accomplished aeromodeller) it was very satisfying to see how much it looked like a professional enclosure :blush:

Flying aeromodels? I did that for several years. I liked to scratch build my own designs. Nothing scale or historic, just flying fun.:slightly_smiling_face:

yeah, these days mostly it’s discus launch glider, but i also have a squadron of micro-drones that have been hacked using silverware to potentially full aerobatic, and smaller electric r/c

By connecting via pinout headers, are the spdif input functionalities maintained and the possibility of connection also via the usb-c port?

sorry, i don’t know if that’s the case

Yes spdif and usb input keep working.